Re: Static IP addresses for Dial-up

Sanjay Dani <sanjay@professionals.com> Mon, 29 January 1996 19:23 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 08:45:57 -0800
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Sanjay Dani <sanjay@professionals.com>
To: peter@unipalm.pipex.com, brian@dxcoms.cern.ch
Subject: Re: Static IP addresses for Dial-up
Cc: nanog@merit.edu, cidrd@iepg.org, iab@isi.edu

>Peter,
>
>>--------- Text sent by Peter Dawe follows:
>>
>> Demon Internet Services provide an  IP address for every dial-up
>> customer. Most other ISPs have taken the view that this is a waste of
>> valuable IP space and allocate IP addresses dynamically.
>>
>> How should our industry respond to ISPs who behave selfishly and do
>> not take into account the good of the network?
>>

>> Peter Dawe
>> Unipalm PIPEX
>>

>1. Speaking as IAB chair, I must state that the IAB has absolutely
>no role to play in answering your question. Operational/commercial
>issues are outside our mandate, whatever we might feel.
>
>2. However, even without an IAB discussion, I can tell you that
>we are in favour of technology that conserves address space and
>facilitates renumbering.
>
>Regards,
>	Brian Carpenter (IAB Chair)  (brian@dxcoms.cern.ch)
>			 voice +41 22 767 4967, fax +41 22 767 7155

I would like to raise concerns regarding the guidelines used
by the InterNIC for allocating addresses. Some of the current
guidelines seem oblivious of emerging market realities
and often times highly non-objective.

I wish to see this issue addressed by someone, the iab
or iana, or anyone else that sets forth, mandates or influences
the policies used by the InterNIC.

As a "small" web service provider that wants to continue
to be multi-homed, I find the attitude that the use
of static dialup addresses or in our perception of the
InterNIC that the use of a single IP address to virtual
host a .com domain is somehow wasteful to be questionable.
I believe that such uses are in fact highly efficient.
I have no grounds, and it makes no business sense, to tell
a customer they cannot have a dedicated web server for
their domain or get SMTP feed to their dialup client.

The same registries, I have reasons to believe, tend to
overlook allocations of several /16s to major corporations
that are completely firewalled from the Internet and could
very well use non-public addresses for thousands of internal
machines. I used to work in one such corporation and have
observed their historical use of IP addresses and new allocations.

It is quite possible that the registries are on the forefront
dealing with these issues with stretched resources and no body
to turn to evolve the policies for the rapidly changing marketplace.
I can then understand, and now it is my hope ;-), that being part
of these aliases will automatically qualify me as a "caring" Internet
citizen.

The end result is we have to either learn to play the game
so we will survive and continue to be independent. In
the meanwhile, we continue to live on the edge fearing the day
when a big chunk of the Internet drops our 206/19.

Oh yes, we have already renumberd twice and the support
costs are enormous.

Thanks for listening this far,
Sanjay.