Re: (sipp) E.164 mapping into IPv6

greg_minshall@novell.com Thu, 04 August 1994 13:47 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Aug 1994 06:40:16 -0700
To: sipp@sunroof.eng.sun.com
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: greg_minshall@novell.com
Subject: Re: (sipp) E.164 mapping into IPv6

Bill,

>Actually, when there are no IEEE addresses assigned (the typical serial
>link), an E.164 address would be very useful for creating a local-use
>address.  An ISDN link will automatically learn it.  A dial-up link
>could convert the dialing number into one.

>It wouldn't occupy any more space than a IEEE address.  I'd like to have
>a block assigned to local-use E.164 addresses.  (I had one in _my_ plan.)

>Since there is no topological information in the E.164 address related
>to _our_ nets, it should _only_ be local-use.

Sounds cool.

I tend to think of the local-end-system-identifier field (administratively
assigned, MAC address, whatever) has significance on the "local wire", but
not further away than that (sort of like the "host part" of an IPv4
address).  But, that "local significance" doesn't mean that all addresses
which embed such local-end-system-identifier are of local significane only;
such addresses are quite often of global significance in my view (just like
an IPv4 address).

When doing "stateless autoconfiguration" on an ethernet cable,
routers/servers would use the client's MAC address to build a
globally-significant IP6 (?) address.  When doing "ad hoc" networking (no
routers/servers) on an ethernet cable, there would be code, in the host,
that knew how to cobble together an IP6 address out of its own MAC address
(and some constant, local-use, prefix).  (This code would be "link level
dependent".)

So, in my model, when doing "stateless autoconfiguration" on ISDN, it seems
quite reasonable for the router/server to build a *globally* significant
IP6 address out of the E.164 address...
        if an E.164 address isn't *too* big - how big are they, anyway?
And, if there are two ISDN "hosts" trying to communicate (dropping off a
fax, say :-), i would think that each would have code in it that would know
how to use its local E.164 address to generate locally-significant IP6
addresses.

Does that make sense to all and sundry?  (Really, grist for the autoconfig
list - what *is* the address?)

Greg