RE: [Sipping-emergency] Comment about Charter [no privacy?]

"Brian Rosen" <br@brianrosen.net> Fri, 29 October 2004 12:39 UTC

From: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>
To: 'Tschofenig Hannes' <hannes.tschofenig@siemens.com>, 'James Winterbottom' <winterb@nortelnetworks.com>, "'James M. Polk'" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, sipping-emergency@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Sipping-emergency] Comment about Charter [no privacy?]
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:07:18 -0400
Sender: sipping-emergency-bounces@ietf.org

This is a good point.

This points out a common tension between groups seeking authenticity and
groups seeking privacy.

The emergency call authorities reasonably want to prevent forging of
location, which could be used to direct responders away from something bad
about to happen.  Individuals do not want their location to be able to be
tracked in some circumstances.

In North America, the tension between privacy and location authenticity is
solved with legislation: the privacy right is explicitly waived when an
emergency call is placed.  It would be interesting to know if this is not
the case in other areas.  This is a geopriv issue, but we might have to send
some requirements to them over the issue.

Recognize that automatic reporting of location is implemented because all
too often the caller does not know where they are, or is unable to
communicate where they are, to the call taker.   When you make an emergency
call, you MUST provide location, and in every jurisdiction, it would be a
crime to falsely report your location.

I would think that given the history in geopriv over this issue, that we
aren't going to get IETF to publish an RFC where not reporting location is
incompliant with a spec; we have a sufficient number of people who feel
passionately that an individual cannot be COMPELLED to report location.
This is quite easily dealt with by using SHOULD language.  The emergency
call system can choose to accept such calls or not, as local regulations
dictate.

The most straightforward method of providing authentication would be to have
the location object signed by a trusted entity.  I've had a running dialog
with James Winterbottom and his co-authors on this subject; I maintain it is
not practical to always have a trusted entity, but let's say, for this
discussion, that there is.  If only the location object itself is signed,
and no other identifying piece of information that attaches an identity to
the location, then you can assure that the location report itself has not
been modified, but you don't know that the object represents the location of
the entity presenting it (you are subject to a replay attack).   The only
way to be assured that the location object represents the entity presenting
it would be to have a credential or other identifier in the signed object
that was verifiable by the entity receiving the call as belonging to the
entity placing the call.  I have no idea what such a credential/identifier
could be because, as I will show, the entity that could reasonably sign the
LO doesn't have any identity for the entity placing the call when it has to
sign the object; they are entirely disconnected from one another.  This
thread is about how to make sure that whatever identifier is used, it can't
be used to specifically identify a person.  That still doesn't solve the
problems of what entities could reasonably assert location validation, and
how any form of anonymous, but authenticated, location could be provided.  I
have no suggestions.

Brian

  _____