RE: [Sipping-tispan] Advice of Charge (AoC)

"GARCIN Sebastien RD-CORE-ISS" <sebastien.garcin@francetelecom.com> Mon, 30 January 2006 13:56 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sipping-tispan] Advice of Charge (AoC)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 14:55:55 +0100
From: GARCIN Sebastien RD-CORE-ISS <sebastien.garcin@francetelecom.com>
To: Miguel Garcia <Miguel.An.Garcia@nokia.com>
Cc: sipping-tispan@ietf.org
Sender: sipping-tispan-bounces@ietf.org

Miguel,

Please see answers below [SG]

Regards,
sebastien

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Miguel Garcia [mailto:Miguel.An.Garcia@nokia.com]
Envoyé : lundi 30 janvier 2006 12:30
À : GARCIN Sebastien RD-CORE-ISS
Cc : sipping-tispan@ietf.org
Objet : Re: [Sipping-tispan] Advice of Charge (AoC)

Inline discussion.

GARCIN Sebastien RD-CORE-ISS wrote:
> Miguel,
>
> First it may be true that there has been some discussion in the past about this but I think it is still interesting to list the conclusions of those discussions in order for readers (including me) to understand if there was indeed a real problem with piggy-backing solution. Please note the solution is not exaclty "piggy-backing" because in some flows (e.g. AoC-S service) the AS generates the 183 answer and does not wait for a 183 answer from the terminating side (see figure 1/ WI3030).
>
> Looking at your points:
>
> 1/ IMS Charging problem and creating artificial SIP message
> I am not sure to undertand the problem. The AS is perfectly entitled to create and send 183 answers downstream, such message is needed anyway for the service and this has nothing to do with "preconditions or sending charging information". Could you please clarify ?

So here we go... the AS need to create artificial 183 messages when there might not be a need to send 183 at all. Think for example that you call someone who happens to be an automata, such as an answering machine, you will get 200 OK immediately. This does not require a 183, but you need to create it artificially and delay the session just for sending the AoC information. It would be more natural to create a separate side-by dialog for sending the required information.

[SG: Why is 183 more artificial than MESSAGE / INFO / or anything else ? The 183 does not delay the session in my view since it relies on a separate early dialog (as documented currently in WI3030).

Second: 183, as any other provisional responses, apply only to INVITE transactions. So you would never be able to apply the AoC service than any INVITE generated service, that is, video, voice, and MSRP sessions.

[SG: I agree. The idea is that 183 would be used for AoC-S (INVITE) in addition to INFO/BYE/200OK BYE in case of AoC-D and AoC-E. If you need to send AoC for a non-INVITE transaction (e.g. MESSAGE,PUBLISH...), you would use 200 OK response to those transactions MESSAGE/PUBLISH to convey the AoC information.]

> 2/ Breaking end-to-end signalling
> ---------------------------------
> The AS does not break anything, it simply adds service information to messages. This behaviour is very common in the work we are doing in TISPAN.

If the 183 has to split the dialog between the calling and the called party, it is breaking the end-to-end signalling.
While this situation can't be avoided in some cases, in general it is desired to get away from it. It breaks any possible end-to-end security, as a starting point.

[SG: I agree with Christer's answer here.]

If the service can be implemented while the AoC AS behaves as a proxy, that would be an advantage for the implementation of the service and the future compatibility of services.

BR,

     Miguel

--
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
sip:miguel.an.garcia@openlaboratory.net