Re: [Sipping] Liaison Statement on offer/answer procedures

"Christer Holmberg" <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> Sun, 08 June 2008 18:29 UTC

Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 20:29:50 +0200
From: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
To: "Sanjay Sinha (sanjsinh)" <sanjsinh@cisco.com>, "Paul Kyzivat (pkyzivat)" <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Cc: sipping List <sipping@ietf.org>, "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens.com>, Mary Barnes <mary.barnes@nortel.com>, Gonzalo Camarillo <gonzalo.camarillo@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Liaison Statement on offer/answer procedures
Sender: sipping-bounces@ietf.org

>What about backward compatibility with UA which do not follow this manual rollback mechanism?

What about backward compability with UA which doesn't do full fallback, if we chose that altenative?

I don't think there are - yet - too many implementations out there doing re-INVITEs with intermeidate offer/answer in the first place, so I don't think backward compability is a big problem.

But, I can forsee implementations that WILL implement this (this is the reason 3GPP need a solution, for example), so therefor I think it is important that we make a decission now.

But, to answer your question:

In a pre-condition case there are most likely going to be resources reserved for no good, and I am sure either/both user is going to detect that things don't work as they should (a UAC that wanted to add a media stream is not going to get any media from the other end, which rejected the re-INVITE, etc).

Regards,

Christer