Re: [Sipping] draft-york-sipping-p-charge-info-12: ABNF

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu> Wed, 30 November 2011 01:59 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:59:53 +0800
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@alum.mit.edu>
To: sipping@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Sipping] draft-york-sipping-p-charge-info-12: ABNF

On 11/30/11 3:38 AM, Dan York wrote:
> Brett, (and replying from a slightly different address so that it will
> go to the SIPPING list)
>
> Thank you for the feedback and question. The ABNF in the draft has
> evolved over the past almost-4 years as various people more literate
> than I in ABNF have given us feedback and we've updated the draft.
>
> In the ABNF section, "chargeparam" is intended to represent that you
> could optionally have the "noa", "npi" parameters - or any other generic
> parameters found in RFC 3261(such as "user=phone")

Including generic-param is a mechanism for making the syntax compatible
with future enhancements. But allowing it syntactically doesn't specify
how parameters that match generic-param are to be processed if the are
present on this header. Typically you would specify in the draft that
they should be ignored unless the behavior is defined by some other
specification.

> Originally, the ABNF read:
>
>           P-Charge-Info = "P-Charge-Info" HCOLON (name-addr / addr-spec)*
>                   (SEMI charge-param)
>                   ; name-addr and addr-spec are specified inRFC 3261  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261>
>               charge-param = npi-param / noa-param / generic-param
>

> I thought that was fairly clear and made sense. However, I changed the
> ABNF in rev -10 in October 2010 to more simply:
>
>           P-Charge-Info = "P-Charge-Info" HCOLON (name-addr / addr-spec)
>                   ; name-addr and addr-spec are specified inRFC 3261  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261>
>               charge-param = npi-param / noa-param / generic-param
>

> after someone strongly made the case that the "* (SEMI charge-param)"
> was not required because it was a "userinfo parameter" to the
> name-addr/addr-spec element.

That is something very different. What you have above are *header*
parameters for the P-Charge-Info header.

It sounds like you are talking about TEL-URI parameters when the tel uri
has been converted to a sip URI. But if so, then you should be defining
an extension to the tel-uri syntax. And then you would need to define
the semantics relative to the tel-uri. (It isn't really kosher to define
the parameters on the tel-uri but then only define their semantics
relative to the P-Charge-Info header.)

IMO its wrong to make this change. Rather you should go back to defining
these explicitly as header params for P-Charge-Info.

	Thanks,
	Paul