Re: [Sipping] draft-york-sipping-p-charge-info-12: ABNF

Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com> Sun, 04 December 2011 16:06 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
To: Richard Shockey <richard@shockey.us>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 16:06:33 +0000
x-originating-ip: [216.41.24.34]
Cc: "<dyork@lodestar2.com>" <dyork@lodestar2.com>, "<sipping@ietf.org>" <sipping@ietf.org>, Brett Tate <brett@broadsoft.com>
Subject: Re: [Sipping] draft-york-sipping-p-charge-info-12: ABNF

If the goal is to make it an interoperable header to be used outside of a private network, rather than to just document a private header used by a particular vendor, then I would suggest this discussion be moved to DISPATCH rather than this supposedly-dead SIPPING mailing list.

Further, it would probably require changing the header name (per RFC 5727), and getting consensus on the syntax and semantics.  It would hopefully NOT require a new mini-WG, but could be an individual submission handled by the AD or an independent submission to the RFC Editor.

Lastly, I should note that this draft in its current form contradicts some actual deployed usage of this header - in particular, I can't remember where Sonus encodes the noa/npi fields, but I believe Dialogic encodes them as header-params in a "P-Charge-Info" header, not userinfo-params.  IF two vendors use the same header name but in different ways, then I think it argues even more strongly to use a brand-new header name for this draft. (and don't use "Charge", because that's already used by yet another vendor)

-hadriel