Re: [Slim] Moving forward on draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Mon, 20 November 2017 21:14 UTC

From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
To: Bernard Aboba <bernard.aboba@gmail.com>
Cc: slim@ietf.org, Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 22:14:03 +0100
Subject: Re: [Slim] Moving forward on draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language

A new proposal for new text taking in latest discussion of Bernard, Paul
and Brian:

-----Old text----

      5.4 Undefined Combinations

The behavior when specifying a non-signed language tag for a video media
stream, or a signed language tag for an audio or text media stream, is
not defined in this document. The problem of knowing which language tags
are signed and which are not is out of scope of this document.

-----New text------------
5.4 Media, Language and Modality indications

The combination of Language tags and other information in the media
descriptions shall be composed so that the intended modality can be
concluded by the negotiating parties. The following combinations of
language tags and media provide obvious information about the modality:
sign language tags in video media indicate signed modality, language
tags in audio media indicate spoken modality and language tags in text
media indicate written modality. The examples in this specification are
all from this set of three obvious language/media/modality combinations.

A sign language can be identified by the existence in the IANA registry
of language subtags according to BCP 47 [RFC5646] of the language subtag
with the Type field "extlang" combined with the Prefix field value "sgn".
A specific spoken or written language can be identified by not having
any such "sgn" Prefix.

Use of language may appear in other media, such as "message" and
"application". Video media may be used for other modalities than signed,
e.g. a view of a speaker or text captions. Such use may be supported by
further work or application specific agreements for evaluation of the
intended modality.