Re: [Slim] Extended functionality for the real-time language negotiation

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Fri, 10 March 2017 22:54 UTC

To: Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>, arnoud.vanwijk@realtimetext.org
From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 23:54:02 +0100
Cc: "slim@ietf.org" <slim@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Slim] Extended functionality for the real-time language negotiation

Brian,

Earlier we ran in circles around these functional requirements and their
possible inclusion in the current draft.

Not this time.

I started to analyze what the mentioned functional extensions would
mean, and tried to come up with possible ways to code them.

Since Dale in the review also recommended us to switch to use the syntax
similar to the Accept-Language, I took that as one base for the
extension alternatives.

That led to the three possible extension variants for each functional
extension, and a brief analysis of them.

The analysis is valid both if we make them as extensions after
publication of our initial draft, or if it is decided that one or both
functionalities can be included now.

The planned extensions might be allowed to influence the current draft
even if the extensions themselves are not included.

The conclusion of my analysis was then that it would be easier to create
the extensions if the coding of the current functionality moved to the
syntax similar to Accept-Language.

It is not going in circles to discuss and decide if we shall take the
step to change the coding to satisfy both Dales' recommendations and my
analysis.

Please look at the extension discussion below and comment which one you
prefer, or propose yet other altenatives.

It is a separate discussion, but It is also true that I want to see the
functional extensions included in the initial publication, and I do not
see the value in publishing something without functions we know are
needed. While we keep in discussing this I see projects moving on using
private solutions for the functionality we discuss, causing risks for
interoperability problems in the future. I think it is a failure to not
solve the functional needs. They are real and urgent and solving them is
the only politically correct way to act.

/Gunnar

Den 2017-03-10 kl. 19:46, skrev Brian Rosen:
> [...]
>>> can use text will then respond with written text and get good
>>> satisfaction, while another answering user C without text capability
>>> will answer in spoken English and have a possibility for a
>>> reasonably successful call.
>>> Without this indication, the first answering party B may have seen
>>> the spoken and written alternatives as true equal preference
>>> alternatives and answered with spoken English that will result in
>>> less satisfied users.
>>> 2. A Prefer to receive spoken language, and can accept to receive
>>> text.   When answering party B can use spoken language, that will be
>>> satisfied, otherwise written language will be used.
>>> 3. A Prefer to use spoken language in both directions, and can
>>> accept to use sign language in video in both directions. Answering
>>> party B has a clear indication of why both signed and written is
>>> indicated and can answer according to its capabilities trying to
>>> satisfy the preference for spoken language.
>>> 4. A Prefer to use  sign language in both directions and can accept
>>> to use written language in both directions. Sign language users will
>>> use sign language, others will use text.
>>> 5. Prefer to send sign language and receive text (deaf-blind user),
>>> can accept to send text.  In a call with a person with similar
>>> prefeences, text will be used both ways, otherwise sign one way and
>>> text the other.
>>>
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> Issue f) requires a way to indicate use of captioning and other
>>> situations where use of simultaneous languages in different
>>> modalities are needed:
>>>
>>> 1. Preference for hearing spoken language and simultaneously read
>>> written language in text. ( captioning) .   The time is here when
>>> this can be provided automatically in some settings, but also
>>> traditionally by a manned service.
>>> 2. Preference for hearing spoken language and simultaneously seeing
>>> the speaker in video. (lip-reading).  Easily and naturally provided
>>> once the need is known.
>>> 3. Preference for seeing sign language and simultaneously hear
>>> spoken language in audio.  ( for multiple users at the terminal )
>>> One of the streams is provided by an interpreter.
>>> 4. Preference for hearing spoken language and simultaneously view
>>> written language in video. (captioning if we accept to specify text
>>> as overlay on video, otherwise it is same as number 1.)
>>>
>>> Some of these can be acceptable also if just one of the
>>> language/media combinations can be provided, but is much more
>>> preferred if both can be provided together. In other cases it is
>>> essential to get both simultaneously. There is a need to
>>> differentiate in the indication that this preference for getting the
>>> languages together is preferred.
>>>
>>> Alternative coding proposals:
>>> 1. Preference between language/modality
>>> 1.1 Based on draft -08, add the coding of an asterisk last in an
>>> attribute to mean lower preference for a lanugage/media combination
>>> m=audio
>>> a=hlang-recv:en*
>>> m=text
>>> a=hlang-recv:en
>>>
>>> Audio and text are alternatives and text preferred
>>>
>>> 1.2. Change to the Accept-Language syntax and let the q-values have
>>> scope over the whole SDP.
>>>
>>>   m=video 51372 RTP/AVP 31 32
>>>   a=hlang-recv:ase;q=0.9
>>>   a=hlang-send:ase;q=0.9
>>>

>>>   m=text 49250 RTP/AVP 98,99
>>>   a=hlang-send:en;q=0.5,*;q=0.1
>>>   a=hlang-recv:en;q=0.5,*;q=0.1
>>>
>>> Sign language is higher preferred than text.
>>>

>>> 1.3. Introduce a new a=modality attribute on media level, with
>>> example:
>>>
>>> m=text
>>> a=modality:written,recv,hi
>>> a=hlang-recv:en*
>>> m=audio
>>> a=modality:spoken,recv,med
>>> a=hlang-recv:en*
>>>

>>> 2. Preference for simultaneous languages vs alternative languages:
>>>
>>> 2.1. Based on draft -08, add another notation to the use of the
>>> asterisk, e.g. an optional character to be used together with the
>>> asterisk to mark media that are wanted together. (ugly)   example:
>>>
>>> m=audio
>>> a=hlang-recv:en*$c
>>> m=text
>>> a=hlang-recv:en$c
>>>
>>> The $ is a simultaneity indication, the c is a groouping indicator
>>> telling that all modalities marked with the $c are wanted together.
>>> (we might be able to restrict the indication to just one set of
>>> languages that are wanted simultaneously.
>>>

>>> 2.2. Use the Accept-Language syntax and add the usage rules that
>>> q-values with less than .1 difference mean languages with a
>>> preference to be used together. Higher differences indicate that
>>> they are alternatives.  Thereby it is both possible to indicate
>>> simultaneity and preference if the simultaneity cannot be satisfied.
>>>
>>>   m=audio 51372 RTP/AVP 0
>>>   a=hlang-recv:ase;q=0.5
>>>   a=hlang-send:ase;q=0.5
>>>

>>>   m=text 49250 RTP/AVP 98,99
>>>   a=hlang-send:en;q=0.51,*;q=0.1
>>>   a=hlang-recv:en;q=0.51,*;q=0.1
>>>
>>> The q-values differences are within 0.1 so it is a preference for getting both together, but if that is not possible, text is preferred.
>>>

>>> 2.3. Add to the new a=modality attribute a fourth, optional
>>> parameter [simultaneity]   with value any single letter, indicating
>>> a preference for having that modality simultaneously with another
>>> modality indicated with the same value in the [simultaneity]
>>> parameter.   Without this parameter, the modalities are alternatives.
>>>
>>> m=text
>>> a=modality:written,recv,hi,d
>>> a=hlang-recv:en*
>>> m=audio