Re: [Slim] Collapse attribute syntax to one line in draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language

Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org> Mon, 29 May 2017 22:23 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 15:23:16 -0700
To: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>, slim@ietf.org
From: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org>
Subject: Re: [Slim] Collapse attribute syntax to one line in draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language

The use of q-values has been proposed before but
we have always decided to maintain a simple
syntax and solution.

At 2:54 PM +0200 5/29/17, Gunnar Hellström wrote:

>  Den 2017-05-28 kl. 23:57, skrev Randall Gellens:
>> as other comments, I intend to update the
>> draft to collapse the attribute syntax to one
>> line; each attribute can occur at most once
>> per media, with all languages on the same
>> line.  This will further reduce the size of
>> the SDP block.
>>
>>  If you object to this, please reply.
>  I am glad to see a one-line syntax, but I would
> as well as Dale Worley expressed in issue #34,
> prefer to use the full Accept-Language syntax
> including the q-values.
>
>  Thus a syntax according to this example:
>
>   m=audio 49250 RTP/AVP 20
>   a=hlang-send: es; q=0.5, eu; q=0.3, en;q=0.1, *
>   a=hlang-recv:es; q=0.5, eu; q=0.3, en;q=0.1,  *
>
>  This format provides the following benefits
>
>  1. Satisfies both Dales and Adam's and other's review proposals
>
>  2. Is a good base for the extensions I am asked
> to propose, to enable preference between
> languages in different media, and preference
> for simultaneous languages in different media
> in the same direction. These two extensions are
> essential for making the draft useful in real
> cases.
>  We can introduce cross-media validity of the
> q-values, and a rule for how preference for
> simultaneous media should be expressed. With
> other syntax proposals, such extensions will be
> much less clean.
>
>  3. Solves a problem for persons who want to
> express equal preference for a set of
> languages, e.g. a proffessional call center.
> Other syntaxes require a preference grading
> even when the user does not want to express any
> preference.
>
>  4. Makes it possible to satisfy Bernard's
> request for a way to specify subtitling, issue
> #34. (also included in 2 above)
>
>  5. May possibly open for a motivation to keep
> the asterisk as a media and directional
> parameter.
>  But I have problems to define how we can
> motivate the placement of the asterisk.
>  Can it be:
>  "An asterisk included in an attribute value
> means that the call should not be denied
> because of lack of language matching in that
> media and direction. An asterisk included in
> each attribute value in the sdp means that the
> call should not be denied because of no
> language matching at all.
>  The lack of an asterisk in an attribute value
> means a desire to get the call denied if no
> language match is found for the corresponding
> media and direction."
>  I do not think that this differentiation betwen
> reasons to deny the call is useful, but the
> description motivates the placement of the
> asterisk on media and direction level, and
> gives us a possiblity to keep the asterisk
> parameter.
>
>  I have not seen us reject issue #34, so I see
> the above as the appropriate solution on issues
> #34 and #39.
>
>  Regards
>
>  Gunnar
>

>>  Here is the section of Adam's review:

> [...]

Randall Gellens
In my own view, it was not merely uncomfortable, it was intolerable.
It might perhaps have been endurable for a two-hour flight but an
eight-hour flight is a totally different matter.
    --Judge Gareth Edwards QC, regards JMC's 29-inch seat pitch.
    The judge upheld a compensation award made to Brian Horan after
    he suffered deep-vein thrombosis (DVT) on his journey Manchester,
    England, to the Canadian ski resort of Calgary. Chester County
    Court, 17 April 2002.