Re: [Slim] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-22: (with COMMENT)

Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org> Wed, 10 January 2018 16:12 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 08:12:29 -0800
To: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
From: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org>
Cc: slim@ietf.org, draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language@ietf.org, slim-chairs@ietf.org, bernard.aboba@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Slim] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-22: (with COMMENT)

At 8:21 PM -0800 1/9/18, Ben Campbell wrote:

>  I'm balloting "yes" because I think this is important work, but I have some
>  comments:
>
>  Substantive Comments:
>
>  - General: It seems to be that this is as much about human behavior as it is
>  capabilities negotiating. Example case: I make a video call and
> express that I
>  would like to receive Klingon. (Is there a tag for that ? :-) The callee can
>  speak Klingon and Esperanto, so we agree on Klingon. What keeps the
> callee from
>  speaking Esparanto instead?

There is a language tag for Klingon: "tlh".

The draft is not trying to even capture the full complexity of human
language interaction, much less enforce it.  The draft provides a
fairly simple mechanism to make it more likely that successful
communication can occur, by identifying language needs (which can
allow endpoints to take potentially required additional steps, such
as bridging in translation or relay services, or having a call
handled by someone who known the language(s) or can use the needed
media).

>  I realize we can't force people to stick to the negotiated languages--but
>  should we expect that users should at least be given some sort of
> UI indication
>  about the negotiated language(s)? It seems like a paragraph or two on that
>  subject is warranted, even if it just to say it's out of scope.

I will add to the Introduction the following text:

    This document does not address user interface (UI) issues, such as if
    or how a UE client informs a user about the result of language and
    media negotiation.

>  -1, paragraph 6:  (related to Ekr's comments) Does the selection of a single
>  tag in an answer imply  an assumption only one language will be
> used? There are
>  communities where people tend to mix 2 or more languages freely and
> fluidly. Is
>  that sort of thing out of scope?

Earlier versions of the draft had more explicit text that the draft
did not attempt to capture the full range of human language issues,
including the common practice among multilingual people of mixing
languages.

The draft currently says:

    (Negotiating multiple simultaneous languages within a media stream is
    out of scope of this document.)