Re: [Slim] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-22: (with COMMENT)

Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org> Tue, 09 January 2018 20:08 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 12:08:05 -0800
To: Alissa Cooper <alissa@cooperw.in>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
From: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language@ietf.org, slim-chairs@ietf.org, bernard.aboba@gmail.com, slim@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Slim] Alissa Cooper's No Objection on draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-22: (with COMMENT)

Hi Alissa,

Good point.  I can reword the Security Considerations section to read:

    The Security Considerations of BCP 47 [RFC5646] apply here.  An
    attacker with the ability to modify signaling could prevent a call
    from succeeding by altering any of several crucial elements,
    including the 'hlang-send' or 'hlang-recv' values.  RFC 5069
    [RFC5069] discusses such threats.  Use of TLS or IPSec can protect
    against such threats.  Emergency calls are of particular concern; RFC
    6881 [RFC6881], which is specific to emergency calls, mandates use of
    TLS or IPSec (in ED-57/SP-30).

--
Randall Gellens
In my country, we believe (and rightly so) that mindless superstition