Re: [Slim] draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language: Issue 38

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Thu, 13 July 2017 07:42 UTC

To: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>, Bernard Aboba <bernard.aboba@gmail.com>, slim@ietf.org
From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 09:41:51 +0200
Subject: Re: [Slim] draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language: Issue 38

Bernard,

I do not like the last sentence of 1.1. A long time ago, I stopped
arguing for a SIP based solution when I realized that SDP is more often
used than SIP in the WebRTC environment. Basing it on SDP makes it
easier to convey the language and modality needs across the SIP / WebRTC
border. (There is a complication that real-time text is an RTP stream on
the SIP side and a multiplexed data channel on the WebRTC side, but
there are solutions defined for handling SDP attribute conveyance for
such situations. )

Indicating that a SIP solution may follow kind of invalidates the whole
work we have done. I prefer to just leave out the last sentence in 1.1.
Saying that routing is out-of-scope for this document is sufficient.

Gunnar