Re: [Slim] SDP limitations

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Mon, 05 October 2015 06:48 UTC

To: slim@ietf.org
From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 08:47:53 +0200
Subject: Re: [Slim] SDP limitations

Den 2015-10-05 kl. 01:44, skrev Christian Groves:
> Hello Gunnar,
>
> It would be possible to "hook" the humanlang attributes to the
> specific instance of the datachannel. You simply use the humanlang
> tags in the dcsa attribute. The protocol is indicated via the
> subprotocol element in the dcmap attribute. E.g.
>
>          m=application 911 <L4>/DTLS/SCTP webrtc-datachannel
>          c=IN IP4 11.9.19.65
>          a=max-message-size:1000 ;
>          a=sctp-port 5000
>          a=dcmap:1 label="text conversation";subprotocol="t140"
>          a=dcsa:1 cps=30  ; "the RFC4103 default value as example"
>          a=dcsa:1 humintlang-send:<language tag>
>          a=dcsa:1 humintlang-recv:<language tag>
(GH) Thanks for the good hint.
I tried to decode section 5.1.2 Sub-Protocol Specific Attributes in the
data-channel-sdpneg draft to see if there is a need to specify somewhere
that the lang and humintlang attributes are allowed in
subprotocol="t140" environment. But I did not find the answer. The lang
and humintlang attributes are not really subprotocol specific, even if
there are SDP-media and data-subprotocols where they are meaningless.
They are commonly useful in many stream specifications. So there is
probably a need for another section in data-channel-sdpneg to tell about
common attributes.
The idea is however clear and useful. Thanks.

That leaves us with a possibility to extend the use of lang and
humintlang relatively easy into part of the WebRTC area.
It requires a bit more application awareness of the negotiation parser.
On the traditional SIP side we have so far said that under m=text, we
have language attributes for text streams, while now it must know also
that under a dcmap with subprotocol="t140" lang and humintlang
specifications talk about text streams.

It would help parsing a lot if we had an explicit way to differentiate
written language from spoken language in the language tag itself. Can we
revive that issue?

/Gunnar