Re: [Slim] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-22: (with COMMENT)

Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Thu, 11 January 2018 07:48 UTC

To: Bernard Aboba <bernard.aboba@gmail.com>
Cc: Randall Gellens <rg+ietf@randy.pensive.org>, slim@ietf.org
From: Gunnar Hellström <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 08:47:47 +0100
Subject: Re: [Slim] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language-22: (with COMMENT)

Den 2018-01-11 kl. 06:06, skrev Bernard Aboba:
> Which reminds me -- what are the implications of only allowing a
> single language to be indicated in an Answer with respect to re-offers?
>
> If multiple languages were indicated in the Answer, wouldn't this make
> it easier for an Offer to switch language preferences in a re-offer
> and conceivably get an Answer with different preferences?
>
> This is how codec negotiation works today - the Answer can choose the
> multiple codecs among those in the Offer, but only the first choice is
> expected to be used.
>
> For example, Offer indicates ability to understand Spanish and
> English, Answer includes Spanish and English sending ability in that
> order.
>
> Offerer finds that he/she cannot understand the Answerer very well,
> potentially due to the dialect spoken, wishes to switch to English.
>
> This could be indicated via a re-offer with English and Spanish,
> likely to be answered with English and Spanish in that order.
>
> Whereas if only a single language were permitted in the Answer, the
> Offerer does not know whether the request for a preference change can
> be accepted (e.g. if the call would need to be routed to a different
> endpoint because the Answerer does not speak English).
Yes, I support that we should allow more than one language per media and
direction in the answer.
We already have that possibility for languages in different media. With
the current wording it is allowed to answer: I can understand sign
language in ASL in video and spoken English in audio. For that case it
is only the relative preference that is missing so there is a risk that
the lower preferred alternative will be selected for initial use. But
then at least the possibility to switch during the call is evident from
the beginning of the call.

Why should we not open this possibility also for single media? We had it
earlier in the syntax description.
It also reduces complexity. It can be quite hard to calculate the best
preference between two preference ordered sets of languages, while just
evaluating which ones are common is easy.

Assume also that it is the offeror who pulls in translating resources
when the match is not good. Then it will be good for the offeror to have
the full picture of the capabilities.

I also support inserting the sentence below about the possibility to
change language by mutual agreement during the call. It can be added
last in section 1.

Gunnar

> [...]
>
>             I will add "Note that the media can still be useful in
>             both directions."  The text thus becomes:
>
>                When a media is intended for interactive communication
>                using a language in one direction only (e.g., a user
>             with difficulty
>                speaking but able to hear who indicates a desire to
>             send using text
>                and receive using audio), either hlang-send or
>             hlang-recv MAY be
>                omitted.  Note that the media can still be useful in
>             both directions.
>                When a media is not primarily intended for language
>             (for example, a
>                video or audio stream intended for background only)
>             both SHOULD be
>                omitted.
>

>                  -5.1, paragraph 3: "... which in most cases is one of the
>                     languages in the offer's..."
>                  Are there cases where it might not?
>

>             Yes, it could happen.  For example, if an emergency call
>             comes into a PSAP and requests languages that the PSAP is
>             unable to support, the PSAP will likely want the call to
>             proceed anyway. It's also possible that the callee might
>             support a language that has some degree of mutual
>             comprehensibility to those requested by the caller.  An
>             example might be some Scandinavian languages where the
>             caller does not include a language that is similar enough
>             to have some comprehension but not be fluent enough to
>             include in the UE configuration.
>

>                  -5.1, last paragraph: "This is not a problem."
>                  Can you elaborate? That sort of statement usually
>                 takes the form "This is not a
>                  problem, because..."
>

>             The caller and callee are free to use any of the
>             established media streams.  If a caller requests audio,
>             video (with a sign language), and text, and all three are
>             established, the caller might ignore the text or audio
>             stream and use only the video stream.
>
>                  -5.2, last paragraph: Is there a reason to give such
>                 weak guidance on how to
>                  indicate the call is rejected?  (Along those lines,
>                 are non-SIP uses of SDP in
>                  scope?)
>

>             No one made a case for why mandating a particular
>             rejection code was necessary, especially since the draft
>             does not offer any suggestion as to if a call should
>             proceed or fail when there aren't mutually supported
>             languages.
>

>                  Editorial Comments and Nits:
>
>                  -5.1, paragraph 4: The first MUST seems like a
>                 statement of fact.
>

>             You mean this sentence:
>
>                In an offer, each value MUST be a list of one or more
>             language tags
>                per BCP 47 [RFC5646], separated by white space.
>
>             The MUST makes sure that the values are IANA-registered
>             language tags.
>

>         --
>         Gunnar Hellström
>         Omnitor
>         gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se <mailto:gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
>         +46 708 204 288 <tel:%2B46%20708%20204%20288>

Gunnar Hellström
Omnitor
gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se
+46 708 204 288