Re: [smartpower-interest] Smart things in stupid networks

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk> Thu, 28 July 2011 11:37 UTC

From: L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk
To: fred@cisco.com, smartpower-interest@ietf.org, william.d.ivancic@nasa.gov, Charles.Smith@csiro.au, wes@mti-systems.com
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:34:48 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Cc: 6man-chairs@tools.ietf.org, tictoc-chairs@tools.ietf.org, core-chairs@tools.ietf.org, lwig-chairs@tools.ietf.org, eman-chairs@tools.ietf.org, opsawg-chairs@tools.ietf.org, homenet-chairs@tools.ietf.org, 6lowpan-chairs@tools.ietf.org, roll-chairs@tools.ietf.org, netconf-chairs@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [smartpower-interest] Smart things in stupid networks

Fred,

Your Internet of Things/sensors list below called out our UDP-based Saratoga data transfer protocol:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wood-tsvwg-saratoga
which will be presented in Friday's tsvwg meeting by Will Ivancic. Our slides are already uploaded at:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/81/slides/tsvwg-1.pdf

Saratoga is intended for high-end sensor equipment that needs to move files and stream data in private networks; engineered for speed and efficiency, not concerned with congestion in these private networks with dedicated links, as the network design engineers congestion out.

Saratoga has been used from space since 2004 on remote-sensing satellites, where link speeds and filesizes are getting faster rapidly. It's now being implemented and evaluated for continent-wide radio astronomy networks based on high-speed fibre: the Australian Square Kilometer Array bid you're aware of (and you know Chas Smith, who is doing that. We say 'petabytes' and 'exabytes' a lot.) Meanwhile, NASA Glenn is interested in using Saratoga for cameras on unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).

After a few years of working quietly on this, we have multiple implementations, interoperability...

Further information is at:
http://personal.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/dtn/saratoga

I'm currently seeking funding for this work.

If you're interested in Saratoga, please attend Will Ivancic's presentation to tsvwg on Friday, or talk to Will or to Wes Eddy, who are at IETF Quebec.

regards,

Lloyd Wood
http://sat-net.com/L.Wood/CCSR