Re: [smartpowerdir] A view on Zigbee Security Energy Profile 1.x

Vint Cerf <vint@google.com> Thu, 07 April 2011 09:55 UTC

Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 05:56:55 -0400
From: Vint Cerf <vint@google.com>
To: Fred Baker <fredbakersba@gmail.com>
Cc: chair@ietf.org, SGIPGB-MEMBERS@smartgridlistserv.org, chair@iab.org, IETF SmartPower Directorate <smartpowerdir@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [smartpowerdir] A view on Zigbee Security Energy Profile 1.x

Fred,

I think this is a fair statement. However, if this is intended as an
argument against public documentation of SEP 1.x, I would like to
observe that the IETF or at least the Internet Architecture Board, has
sanctioned publication of other than IETF standards simply for
purposes of having that documentation readily available for vendors,
users and operators faced with interacting with equipment that is not
standard. IETF is careful to mark such documents as NOT IETF approved
standards. SEP 1.x might fall into that category. If I were a vendor
faced with making things interwork with other products in the Smart
Grid area, I would want, not only to be compatible with the SGIP
sanctioned standards but would be interested in the possibility of
making equipment that could gateway to the non-standard equipment as a
bridge towards normalization.

I support your conclusions that SEP 1.x does not appear to meet the
conventional requirements of IETF-sanctioned standards and ought not
to be treated as SGIP-sanctioned either. But, properly "fenced off",
might be documented, for reference purposes only, in, e.g., the
catalog of "standards". Does this make any sense to you?

vint