Re: [smime] PKCS#7 v1.5 vs. CMS / ContentInfo vs. EncapsulatedContentInfo based on version

Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com> Fri, 03 November 2017 16:26 UTC

From: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2017 12:26:45 -0400
Cc: IETF SMIME <smime@ietf.org>
To: mrex@sap.com
Subject: Re: [smime] PKCS#7 v1.5 vs. CMS / ContentInfo vs. EncapsulatedContentInfo based on version

The version is structure in this manner so that an implementation that checks the version number and then does a decode will never get a decode error on a properly constructed message.

If the only changes are (migrate from PKCS#1 v1.5 to RSA-PSS) and (migrate from PKCS#1 v1.5 to PRS-OAEP), then the change should be very straightforward.

If you are not using any version 1 attribute certificates, identifying the signer with the subject public key identifier, or using a content type other than id-data, then the version for Signed-Data should not change.

I am assuming that you are not mixing RSA-OAEP with other key management algorithms.  If you are not using unprotect attributes or identifying the signer with the subject public key identifier, then the version number for Enveloped-Data should not change.

Russ