Re: [smime] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5084 (4774)

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Thu, 18 August 2016 20:14 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Quan Nguyen' <quannguyen@google.com>, 'Russ Housley' <housley@vigilsec.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 13:13:20 -0700
Cc: 'Stephen Farrell' <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>, 'Kathleen Moriarty' <Kathleen.Moriarty.ietf@gmail.com>, 'David McGrew' <mcgrew@cisco.com>, 'IETF SMIME' <smime@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [smime] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5084 (4774)

I did a brief look at the code you pointed to and I would run screaming from it for several reasons.

I do not have a problem if the tag is defaulted to a length of 12 bytes, but I do not see any way to set it to a different length if desired.  There should be a version that allows for getting the tag length.  At a minimum the length of the tag should be parameterized.

This is making me want to fix the code, but not necessarily wanting to fix the spec.  In the context of the document the default is not unreasonable.

Jim