Re: MIXER Impact on CMS-X400

Jim Craigie <Jim.Craigie@clearswift.com> Wed, 30 January 2002 14:43 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:11:36 +0000
X400-Content-Identifier: Re: MIXER Impact
From: Jim Craigie <Jim.Craigie@clearswift.com>
To: "Bonatti, Chris" <BonattiC@ieca.com>
Cc: IETF SMIME WG <ietf-smime@imc.org>
Subject: Re: MIXER Impact on CMS-X400
Sender: owner-ietf-smime@mail.imc.org

On 27 December 2001 Chris Bonatti wrote:

> [...]
> gateway translations between SMTP/MIME and X.400 envelope and P22
> content.  The IESG's concern seemed to arise from the fact that the
> X400WRAP and X400TRANSPORT drafts dealt with mixtures of X.400 and MIME
> objects, but did not give any consideration to the only other RFCs that
> did so.  This seems to be a reasonable concern.
>
>    Fortunately, the possible interaction between our drafts and the
> MIXER standards is very limited.  Obviously, in the case where you're
> dealing in signed or encrypted content, the application of gateway
> translations cannot affect the content without first removing the CMS
> wrappers.  In the case of the X400WRAP draft, any translation is simply
> out of scope.  In the case of the X400TRANSPORT draft, gateway
> translation of the envelope only is fully possible without interfering
> with the security services.  However, the translations (and MIXER)
> remain orthoganal to our work.
>
>    In this light, I have been considering some additional text to make
> this situation clearer in both documents.  As a result, I propose the
> following amendments to the document draft-ietf-smime-x400transport-04:
>
> - Append a new 2nd para to "1. Introduction"
>
> 	This document describes a mechanism for using CMS objects in
> 	an otherwise native X.400 environment.  It describes an
> 	environment that deliberately uses a mix of technologies, but
> 	does not describe any gateway operations, per se.  It is
> 	possible to combine the provisions of this document with
> 	gateway operations, such as specified in [MIXER].  However,
> 	translation must be limited to the envelope fields only since
> 	modification of the CMS-protected content would invalidate
> 	S/MIME security services.
>
> - Add to the "A. References" section:
>
> 	[MIXER] Kille, S., Editor, "MIXER (Mime Internet X.400 Enhanced
> 	Relay): Mapping between X.400 and RFC 822/MIME", RFC 2156,
> 	January 1998.
>

> Also, I would propose the following amendments to the document
> draft-ietf-smime-x400wrap-04:
>
> - Append a new 5th para to "1.1 Specification Overview"
>
> 	This document describes use of security services for X.400 content
> 	that will not interact well with gateway services, such as described
> 	in [MIXER].  Translations limited to envelope processing may be
> 	viable in the context of this document.  Body translations, such
> 	as described in [BODYMAP], cannot be performed without removing
> 	S/MIME security services.  Translation after removal of the CMS
> 	security measures described herein is beyond the scope of this
> 	document.
>
> - Add to the "A. References" section:
>
> 	[MIXER] Kille, S., Editor, "MIXER (Mime Internet X.400 Enhanced
> 	Relay): Mapping between X.400 and RFC 822/MIME", RFC 2156,
> 	January 1998.
>
> 	[BODYMAP]	Alvestrand, H., Editor, "Mapping between X.400 and
> 	RFC-822/MIME Message Bodies", RFC 2157, January 1998.
>

>    I look forward to any feedback on this approach, or on my specific

Chris,

Sorry that it has taken so long for me to find the time to reply.

As you note in your message, RFC2156 explicitly limits its scope to the X.420 Interpersonal Messaging System, and "not to wider application of X.400".  Your text for inclusion in the drafts should state this.

Since RFC2156 does not specify how to gateway X.400 content types other than IPMS, it is not sufficient to say "translation must be limited to the envelope fields only " - unless you spell out the detail implementors will not produce consistent behaviour. Your drafts (or an addendum to MIXER) need to state precisely which parts of RFC2156 are applicable when gatewaying of the content types defined in x400transport and x400wrap is to be performed.

X400wrap fails to mention that when the objects it defines are transported over SMTP transport there will of necessity for conformance to RFC 2822 be a vestigial Header. This will comprise at a minimum the mandatory Header fields specified in RFC 2822: "From:" and "Date:". If it is intended that these fields (which duplicate semantics already contained within the X.400 content within the wrapped object, but are not derived from them) are to be ignored on reception then this must be stated explicitly. If this is the case, then the values in these fields on origination can be arbitrary. Given this additional specification, gatewaying of the x400wrap content is straightforward, but does need to be specified.

Neither your drafts (quite reasonably) nor any other RFC that I can find specifies how an X.400 content (without CMS protection) can be conveyed by SMTP transport. For completeness, could this be included in x400wrap? I propose:

where the content-type parmeter value is either a single integer (for a built-in content-type) or an OID in dotted notation (for an extended content-type).

Either your drafts or a separate addendum to MIXER can then specify simple gatewaying rules at the message transport level for any X.400 content-type, defaulting to the above for a content-type for which no other mapping is defined.

Having reviewed your drafts again, I have several additional comments.

X400wrap also omits mention of two other documents that it affects: RFC2632 and STANAG 4406.

X400wrap omits mention of changes to requirements on Certificates. It should state that for this content the following wording replaces the second and third paragraphs in section 3 of RFC2632:

   Receiving agents MUST recognize X.400 addresses in the subjectAltName field.

   Sending agents SHOULD make the address in the Originator or Authorising User
   heading field in a wrapped mail message match an X.400 address in the signer's
   certificate. Receiving agents MUST check that the address in the Originator
   or Authorising User heading field of a mail message matches an X.400 address
   in the signer's certificate, if X.400 addresses are present in the
   certificate. A receiving agent SHOULD provide some explicit alternate
   processing of the message if this comparison fails, which may be to
   display a message that shows the recipient the addresses in the
   certificate or other certificate details.

The combination of X400wrap and X400transport should address compatability with the PCT format defined in STANAG 4406 version 3. In particular, PCT defines both a wrapped and a "clear-signed" encoding of its signature. The latter is particularly useful as it allows signatures to be introduced whilst preserving interworking through backwards compatability with systems that do not incorporate support for PCT. PCT has a major asset in that it is an algorithmic mapping between the two encodings: thus a signature generated for one encoding can be mapped in transit into the other encoding preserving the signature of the originator.

Other comments on X400transport:

1. Section 2.2 first sentence:
Replace "a CMS object" by "an entire S/MIME message".
Rationale: CMS protection can be applied to objects which are not S/MIME messages. X.400 message content certainly would not be the preferred (or even an appropriate) approach to transporting e.g. a CMS protected Excel spreadsheet file in an X.400 environment.

2. Section 2.2
I cannot see the purpose of introducing the X.400 content-type for a CMS object covered by an outer MIME wrapper. It seems to me to introduce an option which adds no value, since the MIME wrapper can be added or subtracted as needed (e.g. when gatewaying to SMTP transport) without affecting the CMS object. Options which add no value should be avoided!

3. Section 2.3:
Comment 1 applies here too. In addition, while in theory you could define X.400 content types to make the assertions in the third and fourth sentences true, they are untrue in practice. It would be better to be positive and state that for transporting an entire S/MIME message an X.400 content is more appropriate than an X.400 body-part (except when forwarding). [I agree with your proposal to use X.400 content - currently a sound proposal is spoilt by dubious rationale!]

4. Section 2.5:
The defined mechanism does not seem to supply enough information on the envelope about a wrapped X.400 content. I don't see any way to identify the actual X.400 content-type that is inside, nor do I see how to distinguish signed-x400 from triple-wrapped-x400.

Jim