RE: Multiple "To:" and "Cc:" header lines in SMTP messages

"John W. Noerenberg" <jwn2@qualcomm.com> Fri, 27 September 1996 02:39 UTC

Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 18:39:04 -0700
Sender: owner-ietf-smtp@list.cren.net
From: "John W. Noerenberg" <jwn2@qualcomm.com>
To: WJCarpenter <bill@attmail.com>, tjm24297@rpc1220.daytonoh.ncr.com
Cc: ietf-smtp@list.cren.net
Subject: RE: Multiple "To:" and "Cc:" header lines in SMTP messages

At 11:44 AM -0400 9/26/96, bill@lynxhub.ho.att.com wrote:
>tjm> I recently posted a similar inquiry to news and got a few
>tjm> responses.  From these it would seem that the only official
>tjm> statement is that provided by RFC 822.  Based on that, neither
>tjm> Microsoft nor Qualcomm are doing anything wrong but together
>tjm> their actions result in a problem.
>
>Although RFC-822 discourages multiple occurences of header fields that
>aren't explicitly allowed, in practice there should be little
>ambiguity in what to do.  Whereas if there were multiple DATE: fields,
>you wouldn't know what to do with them, it's pretty obvious what to do
>with multiple TO: fields.

Yep, all those other To: must be addresses that were supposed to be added
to the Bcc: field.

Ok, that's probably not what you meant. :-)

The problem is that *any* interpretation is guaranteed to be wrong to
someone because the specification explicitly states the semantics of
multiple occurences is undefined.  Consequently, the safest course for an
implementor wishing to avoid the ire of other implementors is to avoid the
generation of multiple occurences of addressee fields.

Having said that, it's worth considering collecting like-named addressee
headers into a single list for that header.  I agree a liberal
interpretation would be useful.

>If someone clarified things and specifically ruled out multiple TO:,
>CC:, etc, fields, I sure wouldn't get too lathered up trying to get
>everyone to be compliant.

I'm sure everyone participating in DRUMS will note this idea, Bill.

best,

john noerenberg
jwn2@qualcomm.com
We all learn here by the honorable path of horrible mistakes.
  -- Katherine Paterson, "The Master Puppeteer," 1975