Re: New SMTP response codes

John C Klensin <klensin@mci.net> Wed, 14 May 1997 11:05 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 06:44:05 -0400
From: John C Klensin <klensin@mci.net>
Subject: Re: New SMTP response codes
To: "Paul E. Hoffman" <phoffman@imc.org>
Cc: ietf-smtp@imc.org
Sender: owner-ietf-smtp@imc.org

On Tue, 13 May 1997 17:59:40 -0700 "Paul E. Hoffman"
<phoffman@imc.org> wrote:

> And now for something completely different. I needed a new SMTP response
> code for an SMTP extension I'm writing. However, I could not find any
> central registry of them. This seems to be a bit of a problem, because I
> don't want to choose the same one that some other extension writer has
> chosen.

Paul,

Unfotunately, we have a number of implementations that
believe that the only valid codes are those that are in 821
-- every time a new one has been added, there has been
trouble.  Conversely, one or two implementations have
promiscuously implemented all sorts of codes without
documenting them.  This was a reason why the "be prepared
to use first digit only" rule went into RFC 1123 (perhaps
the main reason).

Consequently, much as a code registry would be a good idea
--and IANA is probably the right place-- you might as well,
in practice, just make something up and assume that only
the first digit will be relevant.

There is a case to be made for trying the following
strategy:

 * Make up one more set of codes, e.g.,
    299, 399, 499, 599
   And give them the definition "extended code of
   status/severity (2, 3, 4, 5), see extended reply
   code" and a phrase syntax of "n.n.n text".
 * Make absolutely sure that the definitions and extension
   mechanisms of RFC 1893 are adequate.

--john