Re: Multiple "To:" and "Cc:" header lines in SMTP messages

Tom Moore <tjm24297@rpc1220.daytonoh.ncr.com> Thu, 26 September 1996 12:57 UTC

Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 08:17:42 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-smtp@list.cren.net
From: Tom Moore <tjm24297@rpc1220.daytonoh.ncr.com>
To: "O'Brien, Walt" <Walt_OBrien@dg-webo.webo.dg.com>
Cc: 'ieft-smtp' <ietf-smtp@list.cren.net>
Subject: Re: Multiple "To:" and "Cc:" header lines in SMTP messages

Could this perhaps be a Microsoft SMTP gateway?  I ran into an
interoperability problem with it and Qualcomm's Eudora Pro.  The MS SMTP
gateway generates multiple To: and Cc: headers.  Eudora displays all of
them but, when doing a group reply, uses only the first occurrence of each.

I recently posted a similar inquiry to news and got a few responses.  From
these it would seem that the only official statement is that provided by
RFC 822.  Based on that, neither Microsoft nor Qualcomm are doing anything
wrong but together their actions result in a problem.

Possibly Microsoft should pay more attention to the phrase "their use is
discouraged" and Qualcomm should adhere more to the Internet philosophy of
"be liberal in what you accept".

I would certainly be interested in any further clarification of this issue
but I doubt that either Microsoft or Qualcomm will change their products.

--
Tom Moore