Subject: [Snac] Why is an AIL prefix with only the "P" flag set suitable?
From: Esko Dijk <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2025 14:16:39 +0100
List-Id: "Mailing list for discussing problems relating to the automatic connection of stub networks to existing infrastructure networks. " <snac.ietf.org>

Hi all,

quick question here on a topic that I know we've discussed before - but 
I still don't understand this.

In Section 5.1.1, we say that a prefix with the "A" flag not set and the 
"P" flag set is suitable. So the SNAC router doesn't have to publish its 
ULA prefix in a PIO to serve devices on the AIL.

Now there can be various mDNS devices on the AIL that don't support DHCP 
(so no DHCP-PD client functionality). RFC 8504 lists DHCPv6 based 
address allocation as not mandatory; and it for sure doesn't say that 
DHCPv6-PD would be recommended or even mandatory.

There may also be devices that don't know about the P flag semantics.
If the CE router in this cases advertises an on-link prefix with only 
"P" flag set, then all of these services become unreachable for devices 
in the stub network.
This goes against the SNAC goals we have.  So why did we define it like 
this?

regards
Esko

-- 
*IoTconsultancy.nl* | Email/Teams: [email-masked] | +31 6 
2385 8339