Review of <draft-ietf-snanau-appnmib-03.txt>

"R.E. (Robert) Moore (254-4436)" <REMOORE@ralvm6.vnet.ibm.com> Mon, 24 February 1997 21:28 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 15:51:39 -0500
From: "R.E. (Robert) Moore (254-4436)" <REMOORE@ralvm6.vnet.ibm.com>
To: kostick@qsun.att.com, jhalpern@newbridge.com
cc: rpresuhn@peer.com, snanaumib@external.cisco.com
Subject: Review of <draft-ietf-snanau-appnmib-03.txt>
Subject: Note from SMTP4 at IINUS1

Deirdre / Joel,

First, I should introduce myself to Joel:  I'm Bob Moore, and I'm chair
of the snanau WG that you're about to inherit at IETF 38.  Before that
happens, though, we have a little business to try to wrap up while we're
still in the NM Area:

  -  The APPN MIB has Randy's final blessing, so what happens now?  I
     *think* Bill Kwan told me that the AD (still Deirdre for the moment)
     handles the step of getting overall approval to issue the document
     as a Proposed Standard RFC, but I could be wrong about this.  Let me
     know if there's something more the WG needs to do.

     I have no idea what to put into a nontrivial Security Considerations
     section for the APPN MIB.  I've looked at recent RFCs, and I haven't
     found any protocol-related MIB that has one.  Maybe we (where I
     guess the "we" = the core of the old NM Area, which will be in the
     O&M Area) can come up with some standard text explaining how the
     SNMP infrastructure provides the security for SNMP transactions,
     independent of the content of any given resource-related MIB.

  -  The DLUR and HPR MIBs are available for Randy's review.  We know
     that Randy is busy, so we'll take his comments whenever we get them.

  -  I've already announced an interim meeting for the WG at AIW 13,
     which will be held in Raleigh the week of March 24.  Since this will
     be prior to IETF 38, I guess we'll still be in the NM Area at that
     time.  In addition to working on the Extended Border Node MIB (yes,
     Randy, there will be at least one more MIB waiting behind the DLUR
     and HPR MIBs :-)), we're going to work on updating our charter to
     reflect what we've done, and what we're planning to do.  Once I have
     the updated charter, I'll have to figure out where/how to post it.

Joel, as Deirdre already knows, our WG always meets at the APPN
Implementers Workshop (AIW), never at the IETF.  In addition to helping
out with the IETF crunch for meeting slots/rooms, we've found that it
helps us to develop our MIBs in an environment where the protocol experts
are immediately available to us.  Also, we meet jointly as the IETF
snanau WG and the AIW APPN MIBs SIG; typically we work through the early
stages of AIW approval first, then cut over to the IETF path with our
initial Internet-Draft once we have basic agreement on our document.  I
don't foresee any change to this mode of operation for the WG.

Joel, I'm looking forward to meeting you and talking with you in Memphis.

Regards,
Bob Moore