Info. on DECnet

Jiju Thomas <jiju@htilbom.ernet.in> Tue, 21 June 1994 06:33 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Jun 1994 18:17:40 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Jiju Thomas <jiju@htilbom.ernet.in>
To: sylor@zeke.enet.dec.com, bkanekar@micom.com, jas@proteon.com, saperia@zko.dec.com
Subject: Info. on DECnet
Cc: snmp@psi.com, phiv-mib@pa.dec.com, jiju@htilbom.ernet.in

Hi,

Thank you. Sorry for the delay in responding.

> From: "NSM Technical Director, today's course, W" <sylor@zeke.enet.dec.com>
> Subject: RE: Feasibility of SNMP over DECnet
>
> I know of no reason why SNMP could not be run over DECnet.
> It would have to run over a connection, which adds all the overhead of a
> connection, and gives you all the benifits of a connection.
> Given an existing implementation of SNMP, and a reasonable understanding of
> DECnet, it should not be difficult to implement.
> Of course this all begs the question of "Why do this"? To build a management
> application, you'ld need to have some agents that speak SNMP over DECnet. and
> I don't know of any. Any system/router that speaks only DECnet would have an
> agent that speaks NICE, the DECnet network management protocol. Any
> system/router that speaks TCP/IP would support SNMP over IP.So I'm curious as
> to why you're interested in this project.

Let me explain the base on which I have to build up "the solution".
Tektronix X terminals are supporting TCP/IP, DECnet and SNMP(with tekmib),
for remote node management. For managing a few network related operations
(my problem) on the terminals, SNMP(with few variable additions) is the way
to go. But if the terminal is configured for DECnet, SNMP is helpless. The
embedded system can't afford to have more agents, due to resource constrains.
So the best choice is SNMP over DECnet.

> From: jas@proteon.com (John A. Shriver)
> Difficulty -- well that depends on whether you're implementing on a
> platform that already has NSP.  If it doesn't, you either have to buy
> an implementation (there are a few, none is exceptionally well-loved),
> or write your own.

I am very much novice as far as DECnet development is concerned, so it
will be very helpful if someone can provide some info. on:

	o DECnet Architechture
	o DECnet Layers
	o DECnet Protocols
	o DECnet Packets

Thanks,
Jiju Thomas
Jiju Thomas                                    Tel. 022-8321144, 8349393
Hinditron Tektronix Instruments Ltd.           Fax. 022-8391478
63A, SDF II, SEEPZ,                            email jiju@htilbom.ernet.in
BOMBAY 400 096,
INDIA