Re: CDPD MIB

Scott Marcus <smarcus@bbn.com> Wed, 02 February 1994 21:12 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Scott Marcus <smarcus@bbn.com>
Subject: Re: CDPD MIB
To: nagatkin@mdd.comm.mot.com
Cc: Mark.S.Taylor@mccaw.com, snmp@psi.com, snmpv2@tis.com
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 1994 15:23:32 -0500

Michael:

You wrote:
> Concerning the MIB data as outlined in Chapter Seven of the CDPD
> spec. Is there a MIB yet? ... at some ftp site perhaps?

There is an SNMPv2 MIB for the CDPD M-ES, the Mobile End System.  It
appears in Section 752 of the CDPD Specifications, Version 1, dated July
19, 1993.

There is no CDPD MIB for ISes (Intermediate Systems, or routers).  These
are assumed to be commercial off-the-shelf units.  They can be managed
by means of SNMPv1 and telnet, or by any other means.  CDPD does not
constrain how they are managed.

The MD-ISes (Mobile Data Intermediate Systems) and MDBSes (Mobile Data
Base Stations) are supposed to be managed by X.700, aka CMIP.  They are
defined in Section 750 of the specification, using GDMO (Guidelines for
the Definition of Managed Objects), as you implied.

To the best of my knowledge, the CDPD Consortium is not maintaining the
specifications at any anonymous FTP site.  It would certainly be a good
idea...   If nothing else, I'd hate to type the M-ES MIB in by hand!  ;-)

> Also, is there a utility to convert between GDMO and ASN.1?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here.  Are you looking for a
GDMO compiler?

Cheers,
-- Scott
--------
J. Scott Marcus              Phone:  (617) 873-3075
Bolt Beranek and Newman Inc. FAX:    (617) 873-3776
10 Moulton Street, Room 6/323
Cambridge, MA 02138
U.S.A.