File mailbase user-card

mailbase-admin@mailbase.ac.uk Wed, 24 March 1993 04:33 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1993 04:30:10 +0000
To: ietf-archive@nri.reston.va.us
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: mailbase-admin@mailbase.ac.uk
Subject: File mailbase user-card

                    User Commands Reference Card      January 1993
                    ****************************

Copyright the UK Networked Information Services Project, 1993
The Computing Service, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

This is the on-line version of the reference card - a formatted copy may be
obtained from NISP: send your e-mail request to
                mailbase-helpline@uk.ac.mailbase

If you are not the type of person to plough through a lengthy document
and just want to get started, this card may provide you with all the
information you need. If you require a comprehensive introduction to
Mailbase you may retrieve the User's Guide by sending the following
command in an e-mail message to mailbase@uk.ac.mailbase

                 send mailbase user-guide

                      Welcome to Mailbase (TM)
                      *******************

Mailbase  is an electronic information service which allows UK
groups to manage their own discussion topics (Mailbase lists) and
associated files.

The Mailbase service is run as part of the JANET Networked
Information Services Project (NISP) based at Newcastle University.
If you are new to Mailbase you may find it useful to read through
some other Mailbase documents.

Other documents

For a list of on-line documentation about Mailbase, send  the
following command in an e-mail message to:
		mailbase@uk.ac.mailbase

		   index mailbase

You can then use the "send" command to retrieve those documents that
interest you.

Support from Mailbase

"help" returns a summary of the Mailbase commands. If the "command" option
is used then a more detailed description of a particular command is given.

Example:	help review
Will return information on the command review.

If you have problems with Mailbase first look at the file of "frequently asked
questions". To retrieve this file send the following command to
mailbase@uk.ac.mailbase

		send mailbase user-faq

If you still have a problem  contact your List Owner, the address is:

               listname-request@uk.ac.mailbase
where listname is the name of your chosen list.

For example to contact the List Owner for the list chest-dtp, the
address would be:
	       chest-dtp-request@uk.ac.mailbase

If you are still need help send an e-mail message to:
               mailbase-helpline@uk.ac.mailbase

explaining the problem - we will do our best to help.

                      Sending Mailbase Commands
                      *************************

This card provides a summary of the commands needed to use a
Mailbase discussion list.

Commands should be sent as an electronic mail message to:
        	mailbase@uk.ac.mailbase

More than one command may appear in a message to Mailbase;
They may be in any order, in UPPER, lower, or MiXeD case.
If you normally terminate your e-mail messages with a signature,
please use stop after the final command sent to mailbase.
As an example, if you wish to join an open list, then depending
upon the type of mail system your mail message should look
similar to the following.

|    mail message                                                            |