Re: was RE: RIPEM, now who knows?

gwishon@afit.af.mil Thu, 18 March 1993 22:48 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: gwishon@afit.af.mil
Subject: Re: was RE: RIPEM, now who knows?
To: Markowitz@dockmaster.ncsc.mil
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1993 17:46:33 -0500

> As long as there is no NIST standardization on the symmetric
> cryptosystem used in PMSP, FIPS 41-1 & 86 specify what the federal
> government must use--so we're stuck with DES.  FIPS XX and YY specify
> DSA/SHA.  ElGamal, being the basis of the DSA, is a good near-to-middle
> term solution to the key management problem.  The Universities can use
> whatever the hell they like; DLA trading partners and electronic tax
> filers will have to use the DSS, no?  This means the
> registration/certification of ElGamal public keys.  TIS, at least, is
> working in the right direction.  As is NASA/Ames, AT&T, and others.

The sad thing here is, of course, there are many of us who must work and
interact with colleagues in _both_ worlds, and who are anxiously awaiting
the eventual reconciliation and convergence of standards, certification
heirarchies, and products.

We'll see that day come soon, won't we....

Gordon

Gordon D. Wishon, Air Force Institute of Technology
2950 P Street, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 45433-7765 USA
gwishon@afit.af.mil * tel (513) 255-8000 * fax (513) 476-7080