Joachim Carlo Santos Martillo Ajami <martillo@nero.clearpoint.com> Fri, 19 February 1993 17:38 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1993 03:43:34 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Joachim Carlo Santos Martillo Ajami <martillo@nero.clearpoint.com>
To: ietf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US, snmp-sec-dev@tis.com, snmp2@thumper.bellcore.com, snmp@psi.com

Newsgroups: comp.protocols.snmp
From: martillo@nero.clearpoint.com (Joachim Carlo Santos Martillo Ajami)
Subject: Re: What NOC's support SMP?
Sender: usenet@nighthawk.clearpoint.com (USENET News System)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1993 08:39:13 GMT

In article <C1rzqC.6yF@apertus.com> stuarts@news.apertus.com (Stuart Stanley) writes:
>Joachim Carlo Santos Martillo Ajami (martillo@nero.clearpoint.com) wrote:
>: In article <karl.9.728359086@empirical.com> karl@empirical.com (Karl Auerbach) writes:

>: Let's all look up the word profiteering in the dictionary.

>Lets also look up the idea of "it works".

Let's look up the word "non-comprehension."  The existence of a few
public domain versions of SNMPv2 proves nothing.  The problem lies in
all the embedded SNMPv2 systems which now must be developed not to
mention maintaining the existing incompatible base of embedded SNMP
systems.

Oh, Case says "no problem," you can just run proxies.  Well, what if
proxies are not available in the target environment?  Also the proxy
becomes an extra unneeded point of failure.  And last, who is going to
debug the obscure associated problems?  The proxy supplier or the
embedded system manufacturer?

In another context I pointed out the following.

"Writing a program or designing a board is easy.  Creating an
organization which can identify or create the market, get the product
to market, support customers and put together the system wherin the
financial institutions, the corporation and the customers can all
interact to every one's mutual benefit is the really impressive
achievement.  A person who doesn't understand this reality doesn't
understand anythin (BTW -- like most engineers) and certainly doesn't
understand systems or system architecture in any way, shape or form.

The retrofitting of ISODE or CMU-SNMP with SNMPv2 prove nothing
whatsoever.  The claim that such retrofitting proves anything proves
only a complete lack of understanding.

>					    After that we can look up
>the idea of "it works perfectly for the needs we have".  The only
>problem we ever had with SNMP was is inherent lack of security.  This
>has been addressed to a fair degree with SNMP V2 and thus the whole
>protocol fits our needs to the T.  I guess that is why the Internet
>community (or at least this prarticular fragment of it) are having
>SNMP foisted on it.... by itself!

See the appended e-mail.

>In any case, it is a working, accepted technology that in theory will be
>replaced by CMIP some day.  Dead dog with fleas, fine!, but I still need
>a dead NOC with fleas as well ;)

SNMP is accepted because Case, Rose and their ilk hyped it to the
point of saturation.  Now there is an installed embedded base.  Well,
it is too late.  Either SNMP was a product or it was an experiment.
If it was an experiment, it should never have been made into a
requirement.  If it is a product, the IETF should live with it.

Otherwise, I have to wonder about other IETF requirements.  Will they
change out from under the installed product base?  Is the IETF being
used to engage in crude market manipulation?  There is a term for this
practice.  The term is "restraint of trade."  There are a lot of people
who have serious problems with attempts at restraint of trade.

>: Joachim Carlo Santos Martillo Ajami

The following e-mail may be of interest.