A brief message from the new NM AD

Marshall Rose <mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us> Tue, 13 April 1993 18:45 UTC

To: mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us
Subject: A brief message from the new NM AD
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1993 11:45:27 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Marshall Rose <mrose@dbc.mtview.ca.us>

Greetings.  As a result of the IAB/IESG nomination/confirmation process
established by the POISED working group, I now find myself in the role of "Area
Director for Network Management" on the IESG.

I am sending this note for two reasons: disclosure and dissemination.

In terms of disclosure, I am Principal of a consultancy corporation: 50% of my
time is devoted to clients, 50% to community service.  The clients neither fund
nor direct any community service.  The corporation supports my participation on
the IESG solely as a matter of community service.  Here is my current client
list:

	Client				Market Area
	------------------------------	---------------------------
	North American Directory Forum	Directory services
	Soft.Switch			E-mail & Directory products
	AT&T Bell Laboratories		Network Management services
	Intel Corporation		Network Management products
	Interop Company			Program Committee

(If this list changes, then I will disclose the changes accordingly.) In each
market area, I am "exclusive" to that client.  In addition, with the exception
of a small number of shares in PSI, I have no financial interest in any
computer-communications company.  Finally, I am the author of several books on
internetworking technologies, for which I receive royalties.

I am disclosing this information so that any party may evaluate my performance
as NM AD, without having to speculate as to any possible conflicts of
interest.  As always, questions about specific actions by IETF members, WG
chairs, or ADs should be communicated to that person and/or whoever oversees
their work.  You are encouraged to bring your concerns directly to me or to the
IESG, should my actions cause you any question.

Since it isn't always clear who a consultant works for, I felt it appropriate
to be forthcoming.

In terms of dissemination, I will be sending out a "state of area"
report for the NM area tomorrow.  Because this information is specific to the
NM area, I will post this information to the SNMP list, instead of the IETF
list.  To subscribe to the SNMP list, send a note to <snmp-request@uu.psi.com>

Thanks,

/mtr