error in executing snmp manager application -Reply

Mukesh Garg <mgarg@novell.com> Mon, 17 March 1997 06:51 UTC

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 23:25:57 -0700
From: Mukesh Garg <mgarg@novell.com>
To: farooq.yousuf@cressoft.com.pk, snmp@lists.psi.com, snmpv2@tis.com
Subject: error in executing snmp manager application -Reply
Sender: owner-snmpv2@ex.tis.com

Hi,

Find my reply in bold :

     We are trying to execute a SNMP manager application which queries
an
     agent for some specific value. But every time we get an error as:
     ErrorStatus=2, ErrorIndex=1. Actually the application is a command
     line, we execute the application as:

             util get 165.237.12.100 public .1.3.6.1.2.1

     where, util -> manager application
            get -> SNMP get request
            165.237.12.100 -> IP address of machine acting as an agent
            .1.3.6.1.2.1 -> Object number defined in MIB_II.MIB

1.3.6.1.2.1 is the mib-II object.  Get request will not work with
this OID, but getnext will retrive sysDescr.  Get request will
work only for leaf objects. Also you have to append the instance
ID to the object OID for the get request to work.  You can try the
following request and see if it works :
util get 165.237.12.100 public .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0

     The Agent and Manager both are ruining on Windows NT Workstation
4.0.

     According to RFC 1157 the ErrorStatus=2 means "no such name".
     But we are sure that MIB_II.MIB is present on the Agent machine as
     MIB.BIN, provided by the windows NT.

     Please, help us by giving any information or any source.

Mukesh Garg
Network Management Systems Division
Novell IDC
mgarg@novell.com