Question Concerning Lexicographical Search

Kai Mao <kmao@fujitsu-fnc.com> Thu, 22 May 1997 22:59 UTC

Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 17:35:05 -0500
From: Kai Mao <kmao@fujitsu-fnc.com>
To: snmpv2@tis.com
Subject: Question Concerning Lexicographical Search
Sender: owner-snmpv2@ex.tis.com

Hello!

	I have a general SNMP implementation question.

	I have a question concerning the OID table used by SNMP's
lexicographical search for GetNext requests.  How is the GetNext OID
calculated without using a table?  It seems silly to maintain an ordered
OID table of all the objects and instances for the GetNext requests.
Since most SNMP agents utilize method routines for data retrieval, why
should the SNMP agent have to maintain the OID table with information on
instances?  Shouldn't the agent be isolated from information concerning
instances?  But I just don't see how the GetNext can be performed
without maintaining the OID table.

If a separate ordered OID table is required then there are several
concequences:

1.  If autonomous creates occured (eg. hardware card inserted), the SNMP
    agent would have to be notified (bottom up), so that it could update
    its OID table.
2.  The agent would have to track all SetRequests that resulted in an
    instance creation, so that it could update its table.
3.  The SNMP agent's OID table may mismatch the real hardware's
    database, if proper syncing were not always checked.

Have I misunderstood something fundamental?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

        Thanks

        Kai Mao
        kmao@fujitsu-fnc.com