Re: [Softwires] New version of 4rd-U - with plain Encapsulation as a variant

Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net> Mon, 30 January 2012 11:21 UTC

From: Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 12:21:49 +0100
To: Maoke <fibrib@gmail.com>
Cc: Softwires WG <softwires@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] New version of 4rd-U - with plain Encapsulation as a variant

Le 2012-01-30 à 11:47, Maoke a écrit :

> 2012/1/30 Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net>
> Hi Maoke,
>
> Good to see you back in technical discussions, of which we had so many useful ones.
> More in line.
>

> Le 2012-01-29 à 05:38, Maoke a écrit :
>
>> hi Remi,
>>
>> it a little confuses me that the new version introduces 2 variants
>
>> - what is the technical difference of 4rd-U encapsulation variant vs. MAP-E? (except written in a single or some separated documents)
>
> No difference (as said).
>

>> on the other hand, it is unfair to state the benefit "Header-mapping provides more complete transparency to IPv4 packets than solutions using twice the IPv6/IPv4 translation of RFC6145" without mentioning the (at least the following two pieces of)
>
>>  cost: 1.
>
> Not clear AFAIK.
> It can be discussed if you expand, but less subjective issues like those below are IMHO more important.
>
>> losing the compatibility with single translation; 2.
>
> I don't see this because, in my understanding:
> - IPv6-only CPEs, in order to work with IPv4 shared addresses processed by BRs are stateless, MUST be modified anyway.
> - Unmodified IPv6-only CPEs don't need to be modified to work with shared addresses processed by stateful NAT64/DNS64 (with known limitations NAT-related limitations, but this is understood).
> - 4rd-U can coexist with NAT64/DNS64 in ISP networks. (Provided IPv4 address-spaces used by NAT64 and 4rd-U are disjoint, there is AFAIK no operational issue.
>

> well, if address spaces (as well as routings) are totally disjoint, it is hard to call it as "coexist", ;-)

Do you mean it would be difficult to route some of the ISP IPv4 prefix(es) to the NAT64 and some to the 4rd-U BR?
Isn't there already the same need if there are several NAT64s? (They must work with disjoint IPv4 address spaces.)

> and definitely there is no compatibility to single translation in RFC6145 at all. as the result, RFC6145 provides a unified solution, while 4rd-U requires ISP (who prefer to use translation) disjointly deploy their networks for single and double translations.
>

> If you have a specific configuration that illustrates your concern, it could be discussed with more details.

Could you, for the sake of a less abstract discussion, describe at least one configuration you have in mind, in which some IPv4 addresses are statelessly shared, and in which there is the RFC6145 compatibility you are talking about.
Without that, I can't figure out what you mean.
(The goal remains customer service, without harm if this happens to be possible without full support of RFC4125, right?)

RD