Re: [Softwires] Unified proposal for stateless IPv4 Residual Deployments (4rd-U) - Contributors?

Alain Durand <adurand@juniper.net> Tue, 29 November 2011 17:35 UTC

From: Alain Durand <adurand@juniper.net>
To: Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 09:33:38 -0800
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Softwires WG <softwires@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] Unified proposal for stateless IPv4 Residual Deployments (4rd-U) - Contributors?

Remi,

Thank you for starting this discussion on the mailing list.
Let me clarify my chair perspective on 4rd-u

You brought this to the Taipei meeting as an attempt to 'unify' encapsulation and translation.
I have always been of the opinion that fewer options are better, so I support attempts at converging the solution space.

The caveat is, if the proponents of the other solutions are not inclined to adopt the new 'unified' scheme,
we end up with just one more incompatible solution.

Now, I have observed during the Taipei meeting a certain level of interest to understand better the 4rd-u proposal,
as some of technical characteristics were not clear to the majority of the working group.

WIth that and the previous point in mind, I'd like to encourage you to keep working on 4rd-u and come back next meeting
in Paris. I hope by them those technical characteristics will be clearly understood by the working group and we could
form a wg consensus  as to whether this work is useful or distracting.

Alain.