Re: [Softwires] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-softwire-iftunnel-04

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Thu, 09 May 2019 07:49 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: David Black <david.black@dell.com>, "tsv-art@ietf.org" <tsv-art@ietf.org>
CC: "softwires@ietf.org" <softwires@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-softwire-iftunnel.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-softwire-iftunnel.all@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2019 07:49:50 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.247]
Subject: Re: [Softwires] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-softwire-iftunnel-04

Hi David,

Thank you for the review.

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] The intent of the draft is to reflect the current registered tunnels types. This is mentioned in the introduction:

   This document specifies the initial version of the iana-tunnel-type
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   YANG module identifying tunnel interface types.  The module reflects
                                                               ^^^^^^^^
   IANA's registry maintained at [TUNNELTYPE-IANA-REGISTRY].  The latest
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   revision of this module can be obtained from the IANA web site.

 and the
> discussion of extension of this YANG module would need to be aligned with
> that limited applicability.

[Med] This is an IANA-maintained module. That is, when a new tunnel type is registered, the module will be automatically updated to include that new type identity:

      When this registry is modified, the YANG module iana-tunnel-type
      must be updated as defined in RFCXXXX.

> The proverbial "right thing to do" would be to update both the MIB-2 tunnel
> type registry and this draft with all of the currently known tunnel types.

[Med] Registering new tunnel types is not in the scope set for this draft. It is up to the documents defining these tunnel types or making use of them to make a request to IANA. For example, this is the approach followed in softwire wg for at least three tunnel types (16, 17, 18).

[Med] Wouldn't that recommendation be better added to documents such as: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thaler-iftype-reg-02?