Re: [Softwires] [Gen-art] Review: draft-ietf-softwire-stateless-4v6-motivation-04

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Fri, 05 October 2012 15:52 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 11:52:12 -0400
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
Cc: "softwires@ietf.org" <softwires@ietf.org>, "gen-art@ietf.org" <gen-art@ietf.org>, Yong Cui <cuiyong@tsinghua.edu.cn>, "A. Jean Mahoney" <mahoney@nostrum.com>, "draft-ietf-softwire-stateless-4v6-motivation@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-softwire-stateless-4v6-motivation@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] [Gen-art] Review: draft-ietf-softwire-stateless-4v6-motivation-04

Thank you for the prompt followup.

Taking things out of order, if the Discussion section were called
Limitations, I would have understood why it was there.  It is not clear
to me that the content actually describes limitations though.  It
describes design choices that need to be made in specifying and
deploying statelessv4v6 solutions.

On the packet preservation description text in section 3.3.2, I am not
sure what assumptions the document makes.  For good and appropriate
reasons, the document does not describe.  I believe tat the ability to
avoid ALGs is dependent upon more specific choices of solution, beyond
merely the stateless property.  Would it be acceptable to weaken the
statement in the document to one that notes that stateless solutions
admit the possibility of solutions which do not require ALGs?  And that
such avoidance is highly desirable?

Yours,
Joel