Re: [Softwires] MAP Open issues: Back to requirements

Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net> Wed, 09 November 2011 09:00 UTC

From: Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 09:59:56 +0100
To: Tina TSOU <Tina.Tsou.Zouting@huawei.com>
Cc: "softwires@ietf.org" <softwires@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] MAP Open issues: Back to requirements

Le 9 nov. 2011 à 02:24, Tina TSOU a écrit :

> I am still unclear about this:
> Why do we require multiple mapping rules?

To permit CE-CE routes to be the same in residual IPv4 as in IPv6 , and to avoid having full IPv4 addresses in IPv6 prefixes, CEs need to know one mapping rule per IPv4 prefix.

Deployments with full IPv4 addresses (the dIVI model) avoid the for multiple rules, an advantage, but they usually need CE IPv6 prefixes longer than /64, a limitation that is not acceptable in numerous scenarios. (Also, these deployments need to import the IPv4 entropy in IPv6 routing, with as many different IPv6 prefixes to be routed as there are IPv4 prefixes.)

> How does it support multiple IPv4 subnets.
> End User IPv6 prefix is generated from the Rule IPv6 Prefix + EA bits. So how does the CE know which Rule to use to generate this.

CE IPv6 prefixes can be delegated independently from IPv4.
Mapping rules can then be defined so that each CE gets:
- its Rule IPv4 prefix (that of the rule whose IPv6 prefix is matched by the CE IPv6 prefix)
- its EA bits (bits of the CE IPv6 prefix beyond the Rule IPv6 prefix.

An example is available in sec. 9 of tools.ietf.org/html/draft-despres-softwire-4rd-addmapping-01.
Hope it helps.

Cheers,
RD