Re: [Softwires] 6rd RADIUS attribute - grouped attributes

Stefan Winter <stefan.winter@restena.lu> Tue, 15 November 2011 01:16 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 02:16:21 +0100
From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter@restena.lu>
To: Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com>
Cc: "softwires@ietf.org" <softwires@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] 6rd RADIUS attribute - grouped attributes

Hi,

sure, no problem. The sketch of it is as below:

There is one fundamental choice to make: can the total length of all the
information be >253 bytes? If so, use a "Flagged" extended attribute; it
glues contents above 253 bytes together. If not, use a non-flagged
extended attribute.

Your draft limits the total length to below 253 by stating that there
are only 58 BG addresses allowed. Note that with the extended
attributes, you don't need to feel constrained in that; we can do more
now :-).

Then, it's about defining the TLV container and its contents. A first go
for your attribute would be like (numbers below are just examples;
subject to IANA allocation):

242.1 IPv6-6rd-Configuration (Type: TLV)
242.1.1 IPv6-6rd-Configuration-IPv4-Prefixlength (Type: integer)
242.1.2 IPv6-6rd-Configuration-Flagfield (Type: undistinguished octet
(Length: 1))
242.1.3 IPv6-6rd-Configuration-IPv6-Prefixlength (Type: integer)
242.1.4 IPv6-6rd-Configuration-IPv6-Prefix (Type: IPv6-Address)
242.1.5 IPv6-6rd-Configuration-IPv4-Border-Gateway-Address (Type:
IPv4-Address)

You also need an occurence table stating that sub-attributes 1-4 need to
be present exactly once, and number 5 has 1+ occurence.

And then - done! :-)

I guess I should have another read as I'm pretty jetlagged right now,
but I think you should get the idea...

Greetings,

Stefan Winter