Re: [Softwires] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-softwire-iftunnel-04

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Mon, 06 May 2019 07:49 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Dale Worley <worley@ariadne.com>, "gen-art@ietf.org" <gen-art@ietf.org>
CC: "softwires@ietf.org" <softwires@ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-softwire-iftunnel.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-softwire-iftunnel.all@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 07:49:43 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.247]
Subject: Re: [Softwires] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-softwire-iftunnel-04

Dear Dale,

Thank for the review.

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] The revision date will be updated with the publication date of the (future) RFC. The RFC editor is used with that.

>    1.  Introduction
>
>    This document specifies the initial version of the iana-tunnel-type
>    YANG module identifying tunnel interface types.
>
> This could be made more specific, e.g.,
>
>    This document specifies the initial version of the iana-tunnel-type
>    YANG module containing a collection of IANA maintained YANG
>    identities identifying tunnel interface types.

[Med] OK.

> --
>
>    2.  IANA Tunnel Type YANG Module
>
>    The initial version of the module includes tunnels types defined in
>    [RFC4087], [RFC7856], [RFC7870], and [RFC6346].
>
> s/tunnels types/tunnel types/

[Med] Fixed.

> Should this mention the provenance of IP-HTTPS, which is in none of
> these RFCs?

[Med] This is already covered by the "reference" clause.

>      identity iphttps {
>        base ift:tunnel;
>        description
>          "IP over HTTPS (IP-HTTPS) Tunneling Protocol.";
>        reference
>          "Microsoft Corporation, IP over HTTPS (IP-HTTPS) Tunneling
>           Protocol Specification,
>           https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd358571.aspx";
>      }
>
> This type's reference doesn't appear in the list of references.

[Med] That is on purpose because otherwise that reference will need to be called out in the core text.

>    3.  Security Considerations
>
>    These identies are intended to be
>    referenced by other YANG modules, and by themselves do not expose any
>    nodes which are writable, contain read-only state, or RPCs.
>
> Logically, this is correct, but I think it would read better if
> s/contain read-only state/contain readable state/.

[Med] I will leave the initial wording.

>    4.1.  YANG Module
>
>    The name of the "identity" is the same as the corresponding
>    enumeration in the IANAifType-MIB (i.e., IANAtunnelType).
>
> This should be "... is the lower-case of the corresponding enumeration
> ...".
>
>    "base":        Contains the name assigned to the tunnel type, in
>                   lowercase.
>
> The description of this item should be "Contains 'ift:tunnel'.".

[Med] Good catch. Thanks.

>    6.2.  Informative References
>
>    [TUNNELTYPE-IANA-REGISTRY]
>               Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, "tunnelType
>               Definitions", <https://www.iana.org/assignments/smi-
>               numbers/smi-numbers.xhtml#smi-numbers-6>.
>
> Given that this document specifies substantial interaction with this
> registry, this reference should be normative.

[Med] We used to have this one as normative but we received comments asking to move it informative. I will leave this one to the AD.

> The title of this reference cannot be "tunnelType Definitions",
> because that text does not appear in either the referenced URL or the
> IANA assigned numbers index (https://www.iana.org/protocols).  The
> title of the entire web page is "Structure of Management Information
> (SMI) Numbers (MIB Module Registrations)"; the title of the section
> that is referenced is "Internet-standard MIB -
> mib-2.interface.ifTable.ifEntry.ifType.tunnelType", which is a
> subsection of the section titled "ifType definitions".  There is no
> reference to the section from the IANA assigned numbers index.
>
> Comparing with this passage from section 4.1
>
>       They must instead be respectively added to the
>       "tunnelType" sub-registry (under the "ifType definitions"
>       registry).
>
> suggests the title "ifType definitions:  tunnelType" may be in
> informal use.

[Med] I went for: s/tunnelType Definitions/ifType definitions: tunnelType