Re: [Softwires] MAP documents - next steps

Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net> Wed, 01 February 2012 16:43 UTC

From: Rémi Després <despres.remi@laposte.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 17:42:47 +0100
To: Mark Townsley <mark@townsley.net>
Cc: softwires WG <softwires@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Softwires] MAP documents - next steps

Le 2012-02-01 à 15:13, Mark Townsley a écrit :

> While I appreciate the functional modularity in understanding the solution space, I do wish that DT had come up with a way to make this one document to present to the world rather than four. I fear organ rejection when tossing a list of RFCs for one function to the CPE industry.
>
> In current form, each document has more or less than 10 pages of substantive text, with considerable overlap between them (how many "framework" and "architecture" sections do we really need for what are really just two variants of something 95% the same?). As further evidence of the problem, there are no less than 19 references to mdt-softwire-mapping-address-and-port from draft-mdt-softwire-map-translation-00. One page has 5 references alone. It's is like reading a single book with every other page in a different binding.
>
> Could we not eliminate the overlap, and just boil this down to one less than 40 page document? In fact, I bet if you tried you could get it down to half that. Looks like Remi's new document is on the right track in this regard.
>
> I'm in favor of the chairs stating that we will adopt a WG document based on the text in these documents, but I would like to see a stipulation that they be combined into one (perhaps two but with only the DHCP option separate) and the overlap eliminated among MAP, T and E eliminated.

Well, this seems similar to taking the new 4rd document and analyzing what is missing or is unnecessary.

Except for the fact that double RF46145 is replaced by the self-contained Header mapping variant, more transparent, but about which there is an ongoing discussion with Maoke, the last 4rd-U draft is, in my understanding, largely what you are looking for.

It avoids all the complexity of GMA port-mapping, a nice piece of technology but near to 5 pages that don't seem to serve real needs (a fixed PSID is enough in practice AFAIK).

Avoiding to review the unified draft because of some NIH syndrome would be IMHO a way to miss a good opportunity for progress.

I do look forward to technical comments on draft-despres-softwire-4rd-U.

RD