Re: [sop] SOP Requirements

Jamal Hadi Salim <hadi@mojatatu.com> Tue, 28 February 2012 14:23 UTC

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <hadi@mojatatu.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:22:59 -0500
To: "Ashish Dalela (adalela)" <adalela@cisco.com>
Cc: Vishwas Manral <vishwas.ietf@gmail.com>, sop@ietf.org, Michael Hammer <mphmmr@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [sop] SOP Requirements

Hi Ashish,

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Ashish Dalela (adalela)
<adalela@cisco.com> wrote:

> As the number of services increase or the complexity in a given service
> grows, this becomes very hard. Assume there is a service with N tunable
> parameters. You need at least N APIs that modify these parameters
> individually. Then permutations and combination of these parameters create
> hundreds of more APIs. That’s just API bloat. And if you have to
> interoperate multiple instances of these APIs through bridges, it’s just
> inviting more complexity. Another limitation is that when APIs have semantic
> incompatibilities, it becomes even harder to interoperate (syntax
> incompatibility is easier).
>

> From an operational standpoint, every new API introduction requires software
> upgrades to the controllers. That eventually hinders the rate of service
> creation.

This an _extremely important detail_  that is often missed by folks
pushing OF for
example as a service creation protocol (or even as a control-datapath protocol).

BTW: Have you looked at ForCES? I didnt see it mentioned in the drafts. To
summarize:
The initial goals were to separate a datapath vs a controller. There are very
few verbs and the entity being controlled/configured can be formally modeled
using an XML language to define logical functional blocks. The blocks (which
could represent services) could be instantiated and hierachy of the different
components/attributes is inherently built.
Although the definitions are in XML, the protocol is binary for
efficiency reasons.
ForCES has discovery, capability discovery, advertisements, transactions, etc.
The underlying transport could be customized for specific problem domains
(I suspect service creation would have slightly different needs than a router's
control/line card transport desires).

cheers,
jamal