Re: [lamps] Last Call: <draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis-07.txt> (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Version 4.0 Message Specification) to Proposed Standard

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Sun, 15 April 2018 21:46 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Tim Hollebeek' <tim.hollebeek@digicert.com>, ietf@ietf.org
CC: draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis@ietf.org, lamps-chairs@ietf.org, ekr@rtfm.com, housley@vigilsec.com, spasm@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 14:45:50 -0700
Subject: Re: [lamps] Last Call: <draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5751-bis-07.txt> (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Version 4.0 Message Specification) to Proposed Standard

At the time this document cleared WGLC the answer was definitely no.  For
those people who believe in having consistency in all of the hash algorithms
the answer would still be no as there are no SHA-3 signature algorithms that
are currently either MUST or SHOULDs.  The answer would be different if
Ed448 was in that list.

I think that this means the answer is still no.

> Section 2.2:
>
> "NIST is unable to provide the seeds that were
>    used to create their standardized curves, this means that there is a
>    section of the community which believes that there might be a back
>    door to these curves."
>
> This is a comma splice; recommend changing the comma to semi-colon.
>
> "there is only a requirement for curve in the sending agent list"
>
> I think "only a requirement for ONE curve in the sending agent list" was
> meant.

Yes this is what should have been there.

> Section 2.7.2. "All algorithms that use 112-bit keys are considered by
many
> to be weak encryption."
>
> Is the LENGTH of the key, or the STRENGTH of the key intended?
>
> If the former, are there other examples of 112-bit keys other than two key
> 3DES (~80 bits of strength)?
> If not, why not say two key 3DES to be explicit?
>
> If the latter, what's the rationale for considering 112 bits of strength
> weak for symmetric algorithms in a standard where RSA-2048 is considered
> strong?
>
> I don't find "considered by many" to be a useful statement.  After all,
the
> world is considered by many to be flat.

This should have been caught and updated when the security considerations
text was updated to address the same problem.

I have modified my copy to read

                Algorithms such as RC2 are considered to be weak encryption
algorithms.
                Algorithms such as TripleDES are not state of the art and
are considered to be weaker algorithms than AES.
                A sending agent that is controlled by a human SHOULD
                allow a human sender to determine the risks of sending data
using a
                weaker encryption algorithm before sending the data, and
possibly allow
                the human to use a stronger encryption algorithm such as AES
GCM or AES CBC even if there is a possibility
	  that the recipient will not be able to process that algorithm.

Jim