Re: [lamps] FW: New Version Notification for draft-vangeest-x509-hash-sigs-00.txt

Daniel Van Geest <Daniel.VanGeest@isara.com> Thu, 11 October 2018 07:44 UTC

From: Daniel Van Geest <Daniel.VanGeest@isara.com>
To: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
CC: SPASM <spasm@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 07:44:12 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.31.5.52]
Subject: Re: [lamps] FW: New Version Notification for draft-vangeest-x509-hash-sigs-00.txt

On 2018-10-10, 10:19 PM, "Russ Housley" <housley@vigilsec.com<mailto:housley@vigilsec.com>> wrote:

I suspect that this document will need to go through secdispatch in order to get the LAMP WG charter updated.

Ok, I will post this draft to secdispatch as well and request a presentation slot in Bangkok.  Then I suppose I should wait until March to present to LAMPS depending on the Bangkok results, or should I present to LAMPS in Bangkok too?

I skimmed the document, and it defines object identifiers for the algorithms, put it should probably use SIGNATURE-ALGORITHM as defined in RFC 5912.  That way, it is clear that all 6 algorithm identifiers are used without parameters.

I’ll make this change in the next version.

I think it’s worth bringing up something about the parameters of these signature schemes here.  XMSS(^MT) only has a single parameter and it’s encoded as the first 4 bytes of the public key, so it’s easy for the verifier to decode.  But HSS is more complicated.  An HSS private key has multiple levels of LMS trees, and each LMS tree can have different parameters (winternitz and height, and in theory hash algorithm and possibly truncated length, depending on what Scott does with a follow-up HSS draft).  The public key only encodes the number of levels and the parameters of the first-level LMS tree.  The parameters for the LMS trees in the other levels are only encoded in the signature.

I don’t think we should mandate that all HSS certificate (and CMS) signing keys use the same parameters for all levels because there’s valid reasons to use at least different LMS tree heights on different levels (which Scott has justified elsewhere, I could dig it up if desired).  Given that, is there a reason why a verifier would need the full parameters set for all levels before they’ve received the signature?  If so, and as ugly as it would be, would we have to encode all the parameters in the SIGNATURE-ALGORITHM?

I would like to see certificates and CMS uses the same object identifiers for the public keys and the signatures in all cases.  We need to do some coordination to make sure that happens.

Ah, I didn’t realize that signatureAlgorithm could be an algorithm ID that doesn’t have an attached digest algorithm, or an algorithm ID that has an attached digest algorithm, with the digest algorithm being set in digestAlgorithm at the same time.  Makes sense that the OIDs for CMS and certificates are the same in this case.

I’m already using the HSS public key OID from your CMS draft so CMS and certificates would be aligned here.

Russ