[lamps] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-lamps-cmp-algorithms-12

Dan Romascanu via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Fri, 06 May 2022 09:27 UTC

From: Dan Romascanu via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: gen-art@ietf.org
Cc: draft-ietf-lamps-cmp-algorithms.all@ietf.org, last-call@ietf.org, spasm@ietf.org, dromasca@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 02:27:47 -0700
Subject: [lamps] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-lamps-cmp-algorithms-12

Reviewer: Dan Romascanu
Review result: Ready with Nits

by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

<https://trac.ietf.org/trac/gen/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document: draft-ietf-lamps-cmp-algorithms-12
Reviewer: Dan Romascanu
Review Date: 2022-05-06
IETF LC End Date: 2022-05-11
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

Ready with nits.

This document updates RFC 4210 describing the conventions for using concrete
cryptographic algorithms with the Certificate Management Protocol (CMP), which
is used to enroll and further manage the lifecycle of X.509 certificates. Its
reading requires expertise and familiarity with previously published documents.
The document is ready. I pointed to a few nits, most of them improvements on
readability and orientation.

Major issues:

Minor issues:

Nits/editorial comments:

1. It would be useful to provide references for terms at first occurrence. For
example Section 2 directly mentions OOBCertHash, CertStatus, Challenge,
PBMParameter, DHBMParameter, etc. without providing a reference.

2. Section 2.2 - provide reference for X.509 at first occurrence (probably
[RFC4210])

3. For clarity and in order to avoid confusions it would be useful to expand MAC

4. For clarity it would be useful to position Table 3 to start at top of the
page to avoid split at printing