Re: [lamps] EST CSR attrs discussion

David von Oheimb <nl0@von-Oheimb.de> Wed, 01 September 2021 13:36 UTC

From: David von Oheimb <nl0@von-Oheimb.de>
To: spasm@ietf.org, "anima@ietf.org" <anima@ietf.org>
Cc: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 15:35:55 +0200
Subject: Re: [lamps] EST CSR attrs discussion

I'm glad to see that on Monday it has been decided to update/correct the
CSRattr mechanism of RFC 7030.
About a month ago I had already provided a concrete suggestion how to
solve the existing issues with it
in a way that is both straightforward, and powerful - see below.

In particular, it allows re-using existing generators and parsers of
PKCS#10 structures
without the need to explicitly hande its ASN.1 sub-structures (which had
been defined in rather complicated manner),
and it allows to directly specify any CSR field values (such as Subject
Alternative Names etc.) that the client shall insert in its CSR.

    David