[lamps] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5750-bis-06: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com> Tue, 19 June 2018 04:06 UTC

From: Ben Campbell <ben@nostrum.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5750-bis@ietf.org, Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>, lamps-chairs@ietf.org, housley@vigilsec.com, spasm@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2018 21:06:45 -0700
Subject: [lamps] Ben Campbell's Yes on draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5750-bis-06: (with COMMENT)

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5750-bis-06: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-rfc5750-bis/

COMMENT:

Thanks for this work. I'm balloting "yes", but have a few comments. I realize
some of these may be leftovers from previous versions. None are blocking, so I
leave it to the authors, WG, and AD to choose.

Substantive:

§1.3, last paragraph: Is the "SHOULD NOT" really constrained to mail? It seems
like it should apply to other messaging systems, although I can see the need to
decrypt old messages as more important for mail than for more real-time
messaging.

§2.2.1, 2nd paragraph: "...although ignoring those
   certificates is expected behavior..."
I'm surprised not to seem a MUST or SHOULD here--is it ever reasonable to _not_
ignore these certificates?

§2.3:

- The requirement to be able to handle an arbitrary number of certificates
seems like a potential DOS vector. Aspects of that are mentioned in the
security considerations. Shouldn't a receiving agent put some limits on the
number/size it will accept? Or is "fail gracefully" an acceptable strategy to
"handle" too many certs?

- 4th paragraph: "Note that
   receiving agents SHOULD NOT simply trust any self-signed certificates
   as valid CAs, but SHOULD use some other mechanism to determine if
   this is a CA that should be trusted."

Why are those SHOULDs not MUSTs? (Or SHOULD+'s)?

§4.4, 2nd paragraph: "Some mechanism SHOULD
   exist to gracefully handle other certificate extensions when they
   appear in end-entity or CA certificates."

Can you elaborate on that? Does it imply more than discussion of the "critical"
bit in the next paragraph?

Appendix B: It seems odd to find this in an appendix.  Does this draft actually
purport to _request_ the move to historic, or just sort of wish we would do so?

Editorial:

Abstract: Should the RFC Editor remove the "Contributing to this document..."
paragraph?

§1.1:

- The definition for AC does not contain an actual definition.
- CRL definition: " prematurely" seems an odd choice of words; one assumes the
issuer does not revoke before it needs to. I assume the intent was to describe
revoking certs prior to their expiration?

§1.4 (and subsequent change version): I infer from the section titles that the
normative keywords in these sections are intended to describe requirements
added to those versions, not new requirements in _this_ version. It would be
better to make that explicit; the body text should stand alone without the
titles.

§2.2.1, 2nd paragraph: s/parser/parse

§3: Paragraph 5: " Some localities may perform other
   transformations on the local name component before doing the
   comparison, however an S/MIME client cannot know what specific
   localities do."

That's an odd statement, since software localization rules can certainly
include comparison policies. It's not material to the document, though, so I
will leave this as an editorial comment.

§4.1, first paragraph: "get information stored away from incoming messages."
I don't understand what that means. Should "away from" simply be "in"?

§4.2, first paragraph: The first sentence seems more like a statement of
principle than a normative requirement.