Re: [spfbis] Proof of non-deployment [root@primary.se: Cron <root@primary> /usr/local/libexec/spf-txt.sh]

Måns Nilsson <mansaxel@besserwisser.org> Wed, 08 October 2014 05:56 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 07:55:55 +0200
From: Måns Nilsson <mansaxel@besserwisser.org>
To: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <superuser@gmail.com>
Cc: "spfbis@ietf.org" <spfbis@ietf.org>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com>
Subject: Re: [spfbis] Proof of non-deployment [root@primary.se: Cron <root@primary> /usr/local/libexec/spf-txt.sh]

Subject: Re: [spfbis] Proof of non-deployment [root@primary.se: Cron <root@primary> /usr/local/libexec/spf-txt.sh] Date: Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 09:15:49AM -0700 Quoting Murray S. Kucherawy (superuser@gmail.com):

> Given the survey work recorded in RFC6686, I would be curious to hear
> people's theories explaining the substantial uptick of TYPE99 queries in
> the last two years while the industry has actually gone in the opposite
> direction.  Of course, that presumes there's ample breadth and no bias in
> the traffic seen by this one resolver.

It is an authoritative name server with recursion no; in its
configuration. It hosts among others my personal domains, so there is
all the reason to suspect bias. I've seen similar figures from other
name servers, hosted by other people, but they also might suffer from
similar bias. (Not the least because these other data sources also
are run by DNS people who seem to believe that support for new RR types
is possible..)

The methodolgy for such collection is indeed not  established -- as far as
I can tell. There is some argument that you probably hit a larger amount
of SPF lookup implementations when you are looking at auth server data;
further, there is reason to expect that the width of data is influenced
by the amount of email directed at domains hosted at the name server,
and, finally, the number of domains hosted on the name server would be
a strong component in influencing the data quality/relevance.

If, OTOH, you want to look at what people have deployed, in terms of
records in zones, a resolver serving a large outgoing SMTP relay would
be the best point.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668