Re: [spfbis] Review of draft-ietf-spfbis-experiment-05

Douglas Otis <dotis@mail-abuse.org> Mon, 23 April 2012 21:01 UTC

Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:01:01 -0700
From: Douglas Otis <dotis@mail-abuse.org>
To: spfbis@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [spfbis] Review of draft-ietf-spfbis-experiment-05

On 4/23/12 8:13 AM, Dotzero wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy<msk@cloudmark.com>  wrote:

Dear Mike,

Agreed.  Serious security concerns remain.  Publishing domain alignments
of various message elements might better illustrate these concerns.

Both PRA and Mail parameters suffer similar weaknesses as neither are
assured to be visible.  Unlike the PRA, the Mail parameter establishes
the return-path, however SPF records lack any assurance which identity
is intended to correspond with outbound server addresses.  Instances
where PRA accommodates normal SMTP function (without misuse of Resent-*
header fields) allows this scheme to be more compliant.  This compliance
carries added risk as it requires application of similar out-of-band
information necessary for making exceptions as those with the Mail
parameters, although the Mail parameter offers less selection
uncertainty and much less associated overhead.

The SPF HELO/EHLO option does not require use of out-of-band
information, does not require exceptions, nor is there more than one
possible identity within a message exchange.

While HELO/EHLO identity is recognized by SPF, SPF lacks a scope list
making it clear whether use was intended exclusively for the HELO/EHLO
to authenticate outbound servers, or to authorize third-party servers
that might carry a domain's messages.   Source authentication using
HELO/EHLO offers content assurances lacking with either the PRA or Mail
parameters.  Additionally, only the HELO/EHLO identity is able to ensure
messages not directly originating from their servers can be safely
rejected, which to prevent spoofing,  requires a separately specified
 From header field alignment requirement.  IMHO, the situation faced
today would have been better resolved by agreeing to a scope-id list
that included MFROM, PRA, and HELO.

The PRA and Mail parameter identities are used to guess whether a
particular server may have been authorized to issue the message or
whether the server is normally not compatible with either scheme.
Clearly, this lacks a solid basis for ensuring message interchange.  By
not holding the outbound server accountable for issuing spoofed
messages, users that have had their accounts compromised are less likely
to be made aware of this dangerous situation and there is less incentive
for ensuring account security.

Regards,
Douglas Otis