Re: [splices] Answering a Call Using Two Separate Devices proposal

Simon Pietro Romano <spromano@unina.it> Mon, 02 May 2011 11:04 UTC

Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 13:04:16 +0200
From: Simon Pietro Romano <spromano@unina.it>
To: "Shekh-Yusef, Rifaat (Rifaat)" <rifatyu@avaya.com>, Salvatore Loreto <salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com>
Cc: "splices@ietf.org" <splices@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [splices] Answering a Call Using Two Separate Devices proposal

Hi Rifaat,

my personal feeling (as an individual) is that most of the open issues
that arose on the ML have been successfully tackled now. Indeed, this
thread is extremely interesting and sheds light on the main features
that any solution should provide.

With my chair hat on, I would suggest that you and Salvatore work
together on a framework document which does not contain any pointer to
already identified solutions, but rather highlights the issues and
defines the requirements. Such document would actually fulfill the
envisaged milestone of our charter. Once done with this, we can rapidly
move to subsequent documents which start delving into the details of the
poptential solutions.

Cheers,

Simon

Il 01/05/2011 17:41, Shekh-Yusef, Rifaat (Rifaat) ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> In the following flow, I have tried to incorporate all the feedback that I received so far.
> The only open issue that I am aware of is the issue of what to present to the user on the PC when the phone initiates a video call to the PC (see (#) below).
>
> Can you please review the flow below and let me know if we have any other open issues?
>
> Regards,
>   Rifaat
>

>     Alice                 Alice                Proxy                  Bob
>      PC                 Desk Phone
>      |                     |                     |                     |
>      |                     |                     |                     |
> Both Alice's devices subscribe to the reg event package, which allows each device to
> discover the capabilities of the other device based on the feature tags provided by each device.
> The Desk Phone knows that the PC supports Video, while the PC knows that the Desk Phone only supports audio.
>      |                     |                     |                     |
>      |                     | SUBSCRIBE reg       |                     |
>      |                     |-------------------->|                     |
>      |                     | 200 OK              |                     |
>      |                     |<--------------------|                     |
>      |                     |                     |                     |
>      | SUBSCRIBE reg       |                     |                     |
>      |------------------------------------------>|                     |
>      | 200 OK              |                     |                     |
>      |<------------------------------------------|                     |
>      |                     |                     |                     |
>      |                     |                     |                     |
> The two devices also subscribe to the dialog of each other.
>      |                     |                     |                     |
>      |                     |                     |                     |
>      | SUBSCRIBE dialog    |                     |                     |
>      |-------------------->|                     |                     |
>      | 200 OK              |                     |                     |
>      |<--------------------|                     |                     |
>      |                     |                     |                     |
>      | SUBSCRIBE dialog    |                     |                     |
>      |<--------------------|                     |                     |
>      | 200 OK              |                     |                     |
>      |-------------------->|                     |                     |
>      |                     |                     |                     |
>      |                     |                     |                     |
> The scenario starts with an audio call from Bob to Alice
>      |                     |                     |                     |
> [...]

                             _\\|//_
                             ( O-O )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o00~~(_)~~00o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                     Simon Pietro Romano
               Universita' di Napoli Federico II
                  Computer Science Department
         Phone: +39 081 7683823 -- Fax: +39 081 7684219
                 e-mail: spromano@unina.it
           http://www.comics.unina.it/simonpietro.romano

     <<Molti mi dicono che lo scoraggiamento è l'alibi degli
    idioti. Ci rifletto un istante; e mi scoraggio>>. Magritte.
                          oooO
                                  (_/